• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help Me!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

hawaiichic103

What is the name of your state?

NH...

I was fired yesterday under the lable "gross misconduct" because I was thought to have been stealing from my job. It was really a misunderstanding, but there is nothing I can do about it because I underdstand why they think what they think and I am responsible for what happened. I may not have had decetful intentions, but that is really pointless right now. My question is that I realized I might be fired shortly before it became offical and I asked my boss if I would still be able to put her down as a refrence when I get a new job, (I have many boss's and this is the one that likes me). She said that my former employer has a complany policy that they do not give references, and if they are ever called to give one they came only divulge what dates I was employed there and nothing more. They can't even say if I was punctual or not is what she told me. I have been scared that these cercumstances will haunt me not only in my quest for a new job not but in the years to come. Because the police weren't involved and it was settled completly by myself and the company does that mean that these cercumstances are sealed or can this come back and bite me later in life. Please help me, I have been going crazy wondering if this one mishap is going to ruin me. Thank you...

BelizeBreeze

So why are you worrying? If the company has an internal policy to ONLY provide dates of employment then put the correct dates on any application you complete.

IF the question comes up why you left simply reply truthfully.

As a sexy young lady with a tight bun said to me recently "It ain't rocket science". :D

Beth3

Because the police weren't involved and it was settled completly by myself and the company does that mean that these cercumstances are sealed or can this come back and bite me later in life No, it does not mean the issue is "sealed." Since the employer has a "dates of employment only" reference policy, apparently they won't be providing a reason for your separation if contacted for a reference but that doesn't mean a prospective employer won't find out about the incident by other means, even if only by accident. You'd be surprised how often that happens. Somebody where you work happens to know someone where you used to work...and the next thing you know you're terminated from the new job for lying on the application form.

When asked on an application form or in an interview why you left this job, the best advice anyone can give you is to be truthful.

Belize, I appreciate the compliment. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">