• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding in WI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MX5Man

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Wisconsin
Traveling from Milwaukee to Madison on I-94. I'm traveling in right lane, car in front of me traveling slower than me - car coming up fast in left lane. After car passes me in left lane, I pull out behind it (but not accelerate to same speed) The fast traveling car jams it breaks to slow to the speed I'm travelling. 100 feet further I realize he jammed his breaks because there was an officer in the median behind a bridge. I maintian my speed (65-70) we pass the cop car nose to tail. I immediatly see the offices turn his front wheels and pull out. I stay, move to the right lane. Fast traveling car (now at (65-70) pulls in right lane in front of me. Cop car pulls up in left lane, turns on his lights and pulls between fast car and me. I think whew, say a quick prayer. Then the officer sticks his hand out the window and motions for me to pull over. So I do.

The office gets both of us. I don't know what he got - but I got a ticket for travelling 16 over (81/65).

I drive a Mazda Miata (Arrest ME Red in color)- 1 foot narrower and 6 inches shorter than the family sedan in front of me. - hard to see behind big family car.

From the vantage point the officer was in the median - obstructed view from bridge. there is no way he saw my lane changes. I wasn't going 81 - ever, maybe 68 -70 (driving with cruise control on). I think he thought I was drafting the family sedan the whole time - just because he didn't see me until we passed him in the median.

I'm 35 and drive a lot for my job, have 3 previous speeding tickets. 11 over in 2003, 16 over in 2002, 11 over in 1998. I didn't fight any of those because I knew I earned them. This one I didn't earn.

#1 - IS there any way the officer could have gotten me on radar - if he already had the car in front of me? - he did pull over the car in front of me. If he would have actually radar'd me - he would have gotten a reading closer to 70 than 80.

#2 - Where do I start ...

#3 - What trouble would I be in if I ignored his hand gesture out the window? (useful for next time)

Thanks

ptlmejo

#1 - IS there any way the officer could have gotten me on radar - if he already had the car in front of me? - he did pull over the car in front of me. If he would have actually radar'd me - he would have gotten a reading closer to 70 than 80.
Possibly, but it wouldn't have been until after you had passed (as you said, you were bumper-to-bumper. I don't think a radar reading on specificically your car would have been necessary here though. As stated, you were bumper-to-bumper leading to the fact that you were traveling the same speed. I'm sure that's what the officer was thinking.

#2 - Where do I start ...
Plead not guilty. You'll get a pre-trial conference with the prosecutor where you can tell him/her this story.

#3 - What trouble would I be in if I ignored his hand gesture out the window? (useful for next time)
Well, you would have have progressed from speeding to failure to obey traffic officer. Now instead of one, you would have two citations (assuming he got your plate and later identified you as the driver).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">