• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

City releases Park Board member background checks to newspaper

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

optimus

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Wa
A recent revision of the ordinance regarding the Ridgefield Park Board requires background checks of new applicants. My term will expire soon and I will be required to reapply. The most recent applicant's background check showed a 20 year old conviction for criminal impersonation. The City released the complete results of his bacground check to the local paper and a prominant story about the Park Board about the new ordinace included his information from the background check. My history will more than likely show a felony when I was 18 yrs old for delivery of controlled substance. I'm 42 now and own a small business. Can the City release this information to the public? I would really like to continue serving on the Park Board but would prefer to keep that part of my past behind me. Any insight to a stratagy or wether I should just fade away would help.

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

Criminal records are public information so they are free to "release" it if they want.

You can try to have it expunged, although I doubt you'll have enough time (or be willing to pay for the legal fees to do so).

I wouldn't sweat it too much - who cares that you used to be a drug dealer 20+ years ago anyway? (Assuming you've since stopped, of couse).

BelizeBreeze

Any insight to a stratagy or wether I should just fade away would help.
The ONLY strategy you have is to face it full on. As stated, your criminal record is public information and its publication is well within the public arena.

If it happens to show up on the front page simply tell people who ask, "Yes, I was stupd but I've learned in the last 24 years..." and move on.

Unless you think anyone making an issue of it has holes in his/her palms and thorn scars around their head.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">