• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Denied! No Reason Given.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

A+Candidate

What is the name of your state? NY

This is a private sales on a coop in Queens, NY. After months of waiting patiently and endless efforts, I was denied by the board and was not given a reason. I met ALL the coop's requirements and stood VERY strongly on my credit score and financial needs of the coop. When I asked why I was denied, I was told, WE DO NOT GIVE REASONS. I requested to speak to one of the board members to have an appeal but no one returned my call. Since I paid all the fees required by the coop before the interview, in which $750.00 were non-refundable, I think I deserve an explanation as to why I was denied. Now I have to cancel my mortgage and pay the fees that are due.

I want an explanation as to why I was denied. Can the coop board act in this manner? Please advise.

You Are Guilty

A+Candidate said:
What is the name of your state? NY

This is a private sales on a coop in Queens, NY. After months of waiting patiently and endless efforts, I was denied by the board and was not given a reason. I met ALL the coop's requirements and stood VERY strongly on my credit score and financial needs of the coop. When I asked why I was denied, I was told, WE DO NOT GIVE REASONS. I requested to speak to one of the board members to have an appeal but no one returned my call. Since I paid all the fees required by the coop before the interview, in which $750.00 were non-refundable, I think I deserve an explanation as to why I was denied. Now I have to cancel my mortgage and pay the fees that are due.

I want an explanation as to why I was denied. Can the coop board act in this manner? Please advise.
Yep. Sure can. Maybe they didn't like your hair. Maybe you smelled like pee. Maybe they are racially prejudiced against whatever race you happen to be. In any event, it's done, and you can't prove any illegal basis for discrimination. Would you really want to be living among these people now anyway?

S

seniorjudge

What did the agreement say (i.e., the one you signed when you gave them the $750?) Did you make the mortgage, etc. contingent upon being accepted into this condo? Is there any basis for you to believe (i.e., you can prove it in court) that you were discriminated against for an "illegal" reason?

It is generally not illegal to discriminate: it is illegal to discriminate for certain reasons (race, nationality, etc.) But, alas, if they just didn't like you, you have no recourse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">