• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ssdi To Ss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BL

http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/ssa.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=mQRO68sh&p_lva=&p_li=&p_page=1&p_cat_lvl1=105&p_cat_lvl2=&p_search_text=WILL+MY+SSDI+BENEFITS+CHANGE+WHEN+I+REACH+65&p_new_search=1&p_search_type=search_nl

I receive Social Security disability benefits. Will my Social Security benefits change when I turn full retirement age?

Answer
When you reach full retirement age, nothing will change, except for Social Security purposes, your benefits will be called retirement benefits instead of disability benefits.

Starting with the month you reach full retirement age, you will get your benefits with no limit on your earnings. These new rules apply for the entire year of 2000, starting in January.

What is Your Full Retirement Age?

Year of Birth
Full RetirementAge

1937 or earlier 65
1938 65 and 2 months
65 and 4 months

65 and 6 months

65 and 8 months

65 and 10 months

1943--1954

66 and 2 months

66 and 4 months

66 and 6 months

66 and 8 months

66 and 10 months

1960 and later

Related Answers
• What are credits and how do I earn them?
• Can I apply for Social Security benefits on the Internet?
• Can a child born outside of marriage be entitled to benefits?
• I stopped working at age 55; will this reduce my benefit at age 62?
• What are the tax, benefit and earning amounts for 2005?

sgilagan

Dob 1940 My Ssdi Is Under $500.00mo. The Yearly Statement I Received Under Ss Retirement I Would Qualify For Just Under $1000.00mo. Or,if Because I've Been On Disability maybe My Payment Won't Change?

Last edited:

BL

according to that question and answer page on SSA site it won't change.

When you qualified for SSDI the amount is based on your earnings to date .

It would seem contradictory to claim what you would have made until retirement at your previous earning for the years between when you were eligible for SSDI and retirement.

In those years you had no earned income to calculate towards retirement .

At least that's the way I would conclude it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">