• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lowgo

What is the name of your state?Ms. I was terminated due to what they say is harrassment. I was not given any details, and when I asked for a copy of my personell file they said they did not have to give me anything. I worked for this company for 10 years, and nothing like this ever arose. I was allways depicted as the "bad guy" because my department head and shift manager put the load on me when it was time to discipline workers. A group of workers got together and said I was intimidating them, thus my termination. What recourse do I have? Thank You

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Very little, if any.

Neither Federal nor Mississippi law requires them to give you any details of the alleged "harassment". Nor does either law require them to give you a copy of your personnel file. In fact, unless you are a public employee, they do not even have to allow you to see your personnel file.

If the employer finds the other employees creditable, they may legally terminate your employment, regardless of whether you agree with them.

L

lowgo

what to do

You say very little if any recourse. Just what would very little be? Thank You

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
To be perfectly frank, I can't think of any at all. Based on what is in your post, your employer hasn't violated any laws.

While I think your company is being incredibly shortsighted in refusing to let you see the file, they have no obligation to do so. We don't know enough about the situation to say if keeping the specifics from you is a good idea or not; I can think of situations in which it would be foolish of them to do so, and also situations in which giving you any details would be the worst possible thing they could do.

About the only possible suggestion I can make is to talk to a local attorney just on the off chance that you've inadvertantly left out some incredibly important detail that would change my responses. It's been known to happen. But based on what is in your post, you have no recourse at all.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">