• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Hunting Accident

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwalla

What is the name of your state? New York

My husband has been a sportman (hunting, fishing, trapping) for his entire life. Today he was hunting with his brother and a few friends. His friend was not wearing any hunting clothing (bright orange).
My husband did not see him, fired at a deer and shot his friend in the leg.
His friend died. (At this point we believe it was my husband's shots that hit him, but the investigation just started)

Police took statements and sent him home. This was a tragic accident, there was no negligence on his part but I need to know what we should be doing.

Should we retain a lawyer? The police are treating this as an accident and I don't want to seem like we have anything to hide.

Should we be preparing for a civil suit? If there is an accident, does negligence have to be proven for someone to be "guilty" or for my assets and house to be taken?

Thank you for your input and feedback.

Signed,
Overwhelmed

nextwife

Please explain, because I am not a hunter and am failing to understand this (here is WI deer hunting is almost a religion for many, so I am very familiar with what everyone is running around wearing): How does one include someone in their hunting party who is not dressed appropriately in blaze orange?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">