• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

indianola

What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Ohio
Hello,
I realize this may not be a good place to ask if I should hire a lawyer. But I appreciate any advice you can give me. This predicament involves my son. He is 18 and was stopped for speeding (55 in 35) and driving with a suspended license. His license was suspended for underage consumption of alchol. He was not driving nor in a car at that time. The suspension was for six months and would have been over Dec. 15th 2004. What will happen with or without a lawyer in two weeks when he goes to court?
Thank you

CdwJava

indianola said:
Hello,
I realize this may not be a good place to ask if I should hire a lawyer. But I appreciate any advice you can give me. This predicament involves my son. He is 18 and was stopped for speeding (55 in 35) and driving with a suspended license. His license was suspended for underage consumption of alchol. He was not driving nor in a car at that time. The suspension was for six months and would have been over Dec. 15th 2004. What will happen with or without a lawyer in two weeks when he goes to court?
Thank you
Without knowing any and all criminal priors and the specific circumstances and charges, it's difficult to say.

Chances are this first hearing is an arraignment and he will likely be asked to plead guilty or not guilty, and will be provided counsel if he doesn't have an attorney by then.

He could face potential jail time. What matters on the suspension is when the violation occurred - not the date the suspension would have been over.

He should probably consult an attorney.

- Carl

stevek3

indianola said:
Hello,
Thank you
I'm guessing his court date is in Franklin County Municipal Court? The court date is an arraignment. When it's all said and done, he might end up with a little bit of jail time at the Corrections Center over on Jackson Pike. Even if you do hire a lawyer, he might get jail time. Honestly, some days in jail might do him some good. From what you say, nothing else seems to be working.

I

indianola

details

He has 2 speeding tickets while under age 18. After #2 his license was suspended for 3 months. He got his license back and it was suspended for underage consumption of alchol. He was not driving at that time. This all happened before he was 18. When he turned 18 his license was still under suspension and he was stopped for speeding 55 in a 35 and driving under suspension. Any thoughts? Should I hire a lawyer for him?

racer72

He's a legal adult, let him hire his own attorney. That's probably why he's in trouble, never had any responsibility for his own actions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">