• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Epilepsy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jomerkling

What is the name of your state? Oregon
My daughter, 21 has epilepsy with uncontrolled seziures. Would she qualify for benifits? She has suffered seziures, bad ones, for 8 years and they have not managed to control them. At present she takes two medications for the epilepsy. What would the process be for getting her some help? She now has an 8 month old baby and is recently a single parent.

rmet4nzkx

There are a number of options, has she applied for disability, social security disability and or SSI, why was she not qualified for disability prior to age 18? Have you contacted the DDD in Oregon, independent living centers can help with applications, It is also pssoble to do this in California if she qualifies for the Regional centers.

She can apply for welfare and medicaid in the meantime and divorce, and child support, you may want to contact social services and or legal aid. Are you helping with the care of the child? Does the child have any medical problems? There maybe at reisk programs for the child.

BL

First, see if a Dr. will or HAS , documented she can - not work at all due to her medical condition for a least 12 months.

Then go down to SSA office or apply online :

http://www.ssa.gov/d&s1.htm

Also, when your daughter applies SSA may have her evaluated by a Dr. they choose.

The sooner the application, the sooner the benefits , if she qualifies.

I'm wondering, if her condition is the severity you describe, how is child being properly cared for ?

If the individual feels that he or she is disabled and is not going to be able to return to work in the near future, the individual should file for Social Security disability benefits. If denied, the individual should consult with an attorney familiar with Social Security disability to get an opinion as to the chances of success on appeal.

Last edited:

jomerkling

At this point, because her husband did not provide for her, she has moved home with me. So I take care of the baby. The baby has no health problems. About 9 years ago I helped my mother to get some sort of income through SS and It was nearly impossible. The paperwork was extensive, to prove that she had a disability, my mother had both of her legs amputated at the base of her body. :eek: :confused: They acted like we were lieing to them. Anyway I recall it not being an easy process and I dont want to put her through that if they are going to just deny her anyway. She suffers under stress. So anyway, thank you for your information and help.

BL

Although the process is a struggle, and most first time applicants are refused, I would urge you to help your daughter speak with her treating physicians and ask them in there opinion, can she be employed at any gainful Employement due to her conditions in their opinions. If they say NO, ask them if they will state so on SSA forms that will be sent them.

If they will do not hesitate to apply, if may take a , reconsideration, an appeal , etc., but in the long run, If your daughter is unable to work, you all will benefit from the stress it takes OFF you in the end .

rmet4nzkx

SSDI pretty much denies everyone the first time through and appeals are almost always required, you have a better chance with assistance, contact the center for independent living they can help, http://www.eocil.org/ She should be eligible for SSI in the mean time, this would have been easier if this had been done before 18 as there are different standards for Epilepsy which falls into DD category, especially when uncontrolled by medication. Stress can also be a part of the disability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">