• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Rear Dividing Wall is Dividing Neighbors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AMF

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California.

My rear neighbor and I have lived in our homes for over ten years. We have a dividing cinder block wall that he (literally) built a structure on 5 years ago. The wall is either common or completely on his property - I have not had a surveyor out just yet. I have a planter box with dirt and trees that is up against this wall and has been there for 7 years. He is now demanding that I remove the dirt from against the wall because he claims it is causing mildew on his side of the wall. However, he will not allow me to view the alleged "damage", he just wants me to take his word on it.

Am I legally required to remove the dirt and/or planter box if it is on his property only? And how do I find out if his structure has city permits?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

BelizeBreeze

without a survey you can tell him to "POUND SAND".

Without a survey, you have no right to judge his structure.

Without a survey, the wall is on your property and your property.

Without a survey, the wall is on his property and his property.

Without a survey.....

Awwww hell, I guess you're getting the point right?

A

AMF

I got it... I am just trying to prepare myself for what could happen if the wall is on his property. Will I have to remove my planter box? He says that he had a surveyor out a few years ago but again he has not shown anything. We are trying to be "friendly" as possible, but his attitude is making it difficult. But my husband does not like to cause waves, so here I am trying to decide next steps.

AMF,

AMF said:
But my husband does not like to cause waves, so here I am trying to decide next steps.
In the "But my husband does not like to cause waves, so here I am trying to decide next steps." - Department...moving the bothersome planter box is the simple solution.

On the other hand, in the "I am just trying to prepare myself for what could happen if the wall is on his property. Will I have to remove my planter box?-Department....wait until a survey proves the issue one way or the other.

Survey? Move the planter? Survey? Move the planter?
Rock the boat, make waves, unhappy neighbor? So many options. But you sure did the right thing by asking here before dumping the planter box on your neighbor's head...that is not a good option.

stevek3

Florid-aise said:
AMF,

In the "But my husband does not like to cause waves, so here I am trying to decide next steps." - Department...moving the bothersome planter box is the simple solution.

On the other hand, in the "I am just trying to prepare myself for what could happen if the wall is on his property. Will I have to remove my planter box?-Department....wait until a survey proves the issue one way or the other.

Survey? Move the planter? Survey? Move the planter?
Rock the boat, make waves, unhappy neighbor? So many options. But you sure did the right thing by asking here before dumping the planter box on your neighbor's head...that is not a good option.
Should they spend $750 for a professional boundary survey, or should they move their hanging fern? Decisions, decisions. Gosh, I'm glad I'm not in their shoes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">