• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Free Press?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CollegeKid16

What is the name of your state?I was reading about some military publications (Army Times and Stars and Stripes) online for research in my Communication Law class...Are these publications truely censored by the government and if so what are the reasons it is allowed? Has anybody every challenged censorship of Military Media publications? I asked my West Point grad boyfriend and unfortunately he wasn't too helpful.

Interested College girl

BelizeBreeze

First of all, the Army Times Publishing Company, Whichs owns and operates the Army Times, Armed Forces Journal, Navy Times, Marine Corps Times, Air Force Times, Federal Times, Defense News, Military Market and Military City, is owned and operated by Gannett, a commercial multimedia publishing company. In the private sector, censorship is called Editorial Philosphy and there is no other government interface except as a source for editorial content.

The Stars and Stripes is a Department of Defense-authorized daily newspaper distributed overseas for the U.S. military community. Editorially independent of interference from outside its editorial chain of command and begun in 1918 by General John J. Pershing for fighting men in France during WW I. Some of the most well-known reporters were Alexander Woollcott, Harold Ross, and Grantland Rice.

Of course, purists of the newspaper business would call this story of the 'soldier's newspaper' is bunk and point to November 9, 1861, when soldiers of the Illinois 11th, 18th and 29th Regiments, after forcing the Confederates south, set up camp in Bloomfield, Missouri. Upon finding the newspaper office empty, they decided to print a newspaper for their expedition, relating the troop's activities. They called it The Stars and Stripes.

The DoD directive establishing editorial policy for the Stars and Stripes is 5122.11

What concerns me is that you claim to be studying law and yet know not one thing about research. Most of the above facts I knew from working at the Army Times Publishing Company from 1972 to 1974 where my office on Le' Fant plaza overlooked the Washington Monument however, the other tidbits were found with spending 5 minutes online.

So, the moral of the story is, if you're going to allow others to do your work, you get the results you deserve.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">