• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I have my appeal tuesday, need advise

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

beznich

What is the name of your state? Mass

Hi I have my appeal on Tuesday. To make the long story short. 1st the DUA approved my unemployment, then my ex-employer appealed and without a hearing won. I recieved benefits untill 10/31/04. So I filed an appeal which is on Tuesday. When I left I told my boss I was considering another job out of state and might be leaving and I wanted him to know. He thanked me for telling him and asked what date, I told him I didn't have one, but he insisted, I looked at a calander on his desk and said then end of october, he said ok. That was it, I worked all day without incident, we even had lunch together and everything was fine. Then around 3pm he called me back up into his office and said he had no use for me anymore and that today was my last day, I was taken by suprise, and asked why, he then took a call and then saif Friday will be your last day. I offered to stay until I atleast the end of october, he said don't bother. Then on Friday we got a big client that I had been working hard to get for about 2 months and he said are you sure you still want to leave, and I said your making me leave and that was it. I handed over my keys, etc. Any chance for me on Tuesday? I've been looking for a new job since I left and am currently debating over 2 offers I currently have but I still feel I deserve the unemployment since I was fired. What do you think????????????????????????????????

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You were not fired. Your resignation was accepted immediately.

While your instinct may be to "be fair" by letting your employer know you are thinking of leaving, from his point of view what you are doing is letting him know that you have no loyalty to the company. He now knows you're unhappy; he knows you're looking elsewhere; he knows you may not have the best interests of the company and your job at heart. Why should he keep you working there till it's convenient for YOU? (P.S. I am not saying you were wrong or that all employers would feel this way, but some do and yours is clearly one of them. Nor can you know which ones will and which ones won't until they're tested. You don't want to be the test case.)

The bottom line is, it's best not to tell your employer you are looking to move on until you have another job offer in hand and are ready to give him a specific date. You told him, the end of October, and you received benefits until then. If you weren't ready to give him a date, it would have been wiser not to say anything at all.

BelizeBreeze

but I still feel I deserve the unemployment since I was fired.
And I feel I should be handsome, kind, tall, dark, rich and a wonderful fellow but we don't always get what we think we deserve, just WHAT we deserve :D

beznich

Good thing I checked

Good thing I checked my appeal was today, that almost sucked. Well here is how it went. My past employer never showed up. They went over the facts, and asked if I had anything to say or add, I told them the longer version of the above story, she then asked so when you had your first meeting it wasn't nessicarly to give you notice just to advise him that you were looking for another job is that correct, I said yes. She then stated that If I heard you correctly you didn't even have a date in mind is that right? I said yes. She then stated how did I come up with the end of October, and I stated that We looked at a map and that's what we came up with and that I restated that he was then one who wanted the date and I told him I din't have one. So she asked if I maybe reluctantly gave the date and I said Well I suppose so. That concluded our hearing. After she asked if I understood everything that had happened and I said I thought so, she then explained everything a little more and I saif thanks, I then asked her if I was in a good position and she said yes, so hopeully in the day or 2 I will have the offical results. I will post them when I get them. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">