• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easements and County Services Areas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

foup2k5

What is the name of your state?Santa Cruz, CA

Our property provides an easement (as described in the deeds) so that our nine neighbors can access their home. Thanks to help me find an answer to the two questions below.

1. Our private road is managed by a CSA (County Services Area). We installed a water bar after approval from more than half of the neighbors, including the road manager, at our own expense (so the CSA was not involved). Should one or more neighbors now realize they don't like the water bar, can they ask the CSA or the county Departement of Public Works to force me to remove the water bar? My understanding is that the CSA nor the county has any authority on the matter because the water bar is on an easement (i.e. on my land) even though the maintenance of that road is managed by a "CSA", is that correct?

2. The easement allows ingress and egress. Does that include giving our neighbors the right install their mailbox along the easement? My understanding is that this would not be their right but only a "favor" I could grant them since "ingress and egress" does not mean "stop" or "park"?

Thanks.

S

seniorjudge

foup2k5 said:
...2. The easement allows ingress and egress. Does that include giving our neighbors the right install their mailbox along the easement? My understanding is that this would not be their right but only a "favor" I could grant them since "ingress and egress" does not mean "stop" or "park"?...
What is a water bar? What is a County Services Area?

To answer your second set of questions, read what the easement langugage says on the granting instrument. If it says nothing about mail boxes, then they are probably not allowed.

BTW, "Ingress and egress" doesn't necessarily prohibit stopping or parking for a reasonable amount of time. (E.g., someone using the easement cannot use it for a parking lot.)

foup2k5

Thanks. A water bar is a diagonal bump on the road that diverts water to the other side of the road. This is a known erosion control measure.

As for the CSA, I would hope to get a reply from some local folks who are familiar with County Service Areas.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">