• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations - home fire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ruger2005

What is the name of your state? California

My mother suffered a kitchen fire that resulted in extensive smoke damage and the kitchen and den were gutted.
We've had two adjusters (one of which never came to see the damage and left it to the contractor to send him pictures).
The date of loss was December 18, 2003. Mom received three settlement checks for contents, dwelling, and a small supplemental. The calculations were inaccurate for both structure and contents.
The adjuster listed content value and instructed us to list only the items that were not replaced previously with advance insurance drafts.
When we received the final disposition with remittance breakdown, the contents list was discounted by the advanced funds. This resulted in a gross miscalculation as not all items were accounted for by instructions from the adjuster.
We sent the head adjuster a three page certified return receipt letter detailing the issues which the insurance company received on 10/29/04. We have not heard anything from them since.
Am I correct that Mom has one year from the date of loss to file a civil action to protect her interests? I would like to add she is 87 years old and legally blind and disabled. I would think this touches on some ADA issues, but need some guidance on that also.
Is the statute of limitations one year on this kind of thing and should we file a civil action in the juristiction Mom lives in?

claimlaw

Contact a competent Certified Public Adjuster. They will generally handle the matter in a timely manner for a % of the benefit they deliver. Much quicker and less costly than the above average lawyer.

Do your homework well. There are plenty of scumbags out there.

Claimlaw

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">