• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair application of company standards

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

alltexan

What is the name of your state?Texas
I work pt for a large retail co. I have worked there 3+ yrs. This is a 2nd job, my other job is an evening job so I am unavailable evening (6:00pm) M-F. My I had this job when I was hired so they knew of my availabitiy. Now my supervisor has informed me that he can't have an employee who can work only days. I am going in tomorrow supposedly to work, but they told me to report to the manager first. I know that I don't have the availablity the com. states is necessary, but I never did and they still hired me. I have never be written up and my last review was positive and I recieved a nice raise. My question is if they are now going to require me to have the stated availablity don't they have to require each employee. I know we have high school students and college students that are unavailable mornings M-F. How can they just apply this to me and not the others. I am the only married mother with children in our dept. and there are very few older adults. I am 38. I just wanted to know what rights if any I have. I know Texas is an at will state but the company has always been a stickler about documentation and should I take it higher in the company?

BelizeBreeze

I just wanted to know what rights if any I have.
Absolutely none. If the company needs you to work and you are not available, they are free to find someone who is.

Your new manager must have been at War Memorial Stadium in 1969 wearing a funny pig hat and red sweatshirt and this is PAYBACK!!! :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am the only married mother with children in our dept. and there are very few older adults. I am 38.

That will get you exactly nowhere, if you are thinking you may have a discrimination claim somewhere. Under both Federal and Texas law, you have to be 40 or older before you can file an age discrimination claim. Neither Federal nor Texas law offers protection on the basis of either marital status or parental status, and you cannot file a discrimination claim unless it's on the basis of a protected group.

Beth3

I know we have high school students and college students that are unavailable mornings M-F. How can they just apply this to me and not the others. Because they CAN. Apparently your employer feels they are no longer able to schedule you only for the hours that are convenient for you. They can change your work schedule any time they like. Nothing in your post remotely suggests anything unlawful is taking place.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">