• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's Rottweiler Threatens Us

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

ratner

I live in Virginia.

Our neighbor's have a full grown Rottweiler dog that growls and barks at us whenever we leave or come home. There is no separation fence nor is the dog on a leash. He was trained with a collar and an electric wire that ran along our boundaries. Now he no longer wears the collar and all we can hope for is that he doesn't forget his training and comes on our property to attack one of us.

We have asked our neighbor to do something about this threatening dog but they refuse. We were told that we had no legal recourse until the dog does attack one of us.

If we send them a letter stating that we will sue them for everything they have if that dog ever does attack one of us, what would you recommend that we put in it? How much can people sue for if a dog does attack them on their own property?

BelizeBreeze

Your letter is worthless. And the neighbor is right. The ONLY possible suit you have at this point, is for quiet enjoyment and I doubt if that will fly.

Buy a mountain lion and train it to eat dogs.

HomeGuru

ratner said:
I live in Virginia.

Our neighbor's have a full grown Rottweiler dog that growls and barks at us whenever we leave or come home. There is no separation fence nor is the dog on a leash. He was trained with a collar and an electric wire that ran along our boundaries. Now he no longer wears the collar and all we can hope for is that he doesn't forget his training and comes on our property to attack one of us.

We have asked our neighbor to do something about this threatening dog but they refuse. We were told that we had no legal recourse until the dog does attack one of us.

If we send them a letter stating that we will sue them for everything they have if that dog ever does attack one of us, what would you recommend that we put in it? How much can people sue for if a dog does attack them on their own property?
**A: and what did your insurance agent advise you to do?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

HomeGuru said:
**A: and what did your insurance agent advise you to do?

My response:

Gee, I don't know. Buy more insurance?

What does an insurance agent have to with this, or anything? Will the agent "stand guard"?

To the OP: Build a fence to mitigate any potential attack and damages. You're on notice of the potential for danger and injuries; therefore, you must mitigate against the potential for harm. If you don't, and harm does occur, you may get tagged for your own "comparative negligence".

Either that, or shoot the dog if it comes on your property in a threatening manner. "Fear" for one's life and limb is justification for killing the dog - - especially if it's done to protect a youngster.

IAAL

kmo199

I'd go with IAAL.

Strengthening some important points.

1. Build a fence
2. Buy a shotgun
3. Keep a lookout

PghREA

This is definately NOT legal advice but, I know someone who put ground glass in a 1/2 pound of raw hamburger and it solved their problem.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:

Gee, I don't know. Buy more insurance?

What does an insurance agent have to with this, or anything? Will the agent "stand guard"?

To the OP: Build a fence to mitigate any potential attack and damages. You're on notice of the potential for danger and injuries; therefore, you must mitigate against the potential for harm. If you don't, and harm does occur, you may get tagged for your own "comparative negligence".

Either that, or shoot the dog if it comes on your property in a threatening manner. "Fear" for one's life and limb is justification for killing the dog - - especially if it's done to protect a youngster.

IAAL
IAAL - IF THIS QUESTION IS MISPLACED HERE - REDIRECT ME

Point of law question (Fla.): By substitution of your words:

"Either that, or (punch the human) if it comes on your property in a threatening manner. "Fear" for one's life and limb is justification for (punching the human)- - especially if it's done to protect (life and limb/private or personal property)."

You Are Guilty

Florid-aise said:

"Either that, or (punch the human) if it comes on your property in a threatening manner. "Fear" for one's life and limb is justification for (punching the human)- - especially if it's done to protect (life and limb/private or personal property)."
You can't really be this stupid, can you? Give up already. People != dog.

rmet4nzkx

Rottweilers are the 6th most popular breed of dog in the US and not the monsters you may think. They are very sensitive, intelligent, working dogs who also are rescue and therapy dogs. They are loyal and misunderstood. The dog you describe is well trained, so well trained that he doesn't require a fence or collar. Yes he barks, he is protecting his territory, that is what he is supposed to do. But guess what, he's also looking out for you. If someone breaks into your house or your teenager sneeks in or out, that dog is going to become your best friend. If someone attacks you, he is going to protect you most likely, because he is used to you being there even though he barks. Talk to the owner about becomming better aquainted with the dog, that may or not be a good idea because it could affect their training.

kmo199

rmet4nzkx said:
Rottweilers are the 6th most popular breed of dog in the US and not the monsters you may think. They are very sensitive, intelligent, working dogs who also are rescue and therapy dogs. They are loyal and misunderstood. The dog you describe is well trained, so well trained that he doesn't require a fence or collar. Yes he barks, he is protecting his territory, that is what he is supposed to do. But guess what, he's also looking out for you. If someone breaks into your house or your teenager sneeks in or out, that dog is going to become your best friend. If someone attacks you, he is going to protect you most likely, because he is used to you being there even though he barks. Talk to the owner about becomming better aquainted with the dog, that may or not be a good idea because it could affect their training.
Rmet4nzkx,

You bring up a very thoughtful point. Yes, most dogs are very well trained to help the blind, seniors, protect families, and to of course provide security/company. However, consideration should also be taken to keep
the pet safely within and on an owner's property. Let's face it.
Dogs are often misjudged. But however unfortunate that is, Rottweilers are aggressive to begin with in nature, and have many times fatally attacked their
owners (or most often owner's children), not to mention strangers.
Eventhough they are excellent companions, they can be very unpredictable.
They may be trained, they may be friendly, but one can never know for
sure. The point to emphasize here is that, becoming better acquainted with the dog may not be the best choice (eventhough it's a good idea).

stevek3

PghREA said:
This is definately NOT legal advice but, I know someone who put ground glass in a 1/2 pound of raw hamburger and it solved their problem.
A daily enema might solve yours.

rmet4nzkx

kmo199 said:
Rmet4nzkx,

You bring up a very thoughtful point. Yes, most dogs are very well trained to help the blind, seniors, protect families, and to of course provide security/company. However, consideration should also be taken to keep
the pet safely within and on an owner's property. Let's face it.
Dogs are often misjudged. But however unfortunate that is, Rottweilers are aggressive to begin with in nature, and have many times fatally attacked their
owners (or most often owner's children), not to mention strangers.
Eventhough they are excellent companions, they can be very unpredictable.
They may be trained, they may be friendly, but one can never know for
sure. The point to emphasize here is that, becoming better acquainted with the dog may not be the best choice (eventhough it's a good idea).
Most of the horrible stories are due to poor training or poor breeding. Rott's are not unpredictable, more than likely misunderstood. The are big, so when one jumps up on you to give you a big puppy kiss, you can get knocked over, and they might slime you to death, loving you. German shepards are very unpredictable, but smaller, more people are bitten by Schnauzers than any breed and I have seen vicious attacks by miniature breeds. Rotts are very protective of their children (human), usually a low fence will keep them enclosed because they are not built for jumping. I also said getting to know the dog better might or not be a good idea. The stories almost always have a lot more than a unpredictable vicious dog and nothing to provoke the situation. If they could talk it would help.

S

seniorjudge

ratner, have you asked your local law enforcement agency (sheriff, police, whatever) if having a dangerous dog is against the law? If it is, what must you show to prove that it is a dangerous dog?

My own dogs have bitten me and I do not trust them. Just a thought....

IAMALWAYSLIABLE said:
Florid-aise said:

You Are Guilty said:
You can't really be this stupid, can you? Give up already. People != dog.
All right, I'll bite.

Just as I percieved that IAAL would know the answer, where there exists five different "defenses" and/or "privileges", being;

1). Consent

2). Self-Defense

3). Defense of Others

4). Protection of Property

5). Private Necessity.

I'll just redirect the same question to you, as it would appear you have a more thorough answer already in mind.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">