• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing your pay or forcing you to take at lesser pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I have a question that ought to stir up some thoughts…here’s the deal…You are working for a company that does outsourcing (Case and point EDS which specialize in Information Technology or Pitney Bowes which has a division that does mail copy and fax). The company procure a contracts with various companies that want to outsource either their mail room, copy center or IT Department if not all of it combined within one company. Now, the company hire you to work for them and you are places at one of their many sites within your State (Illinois). You worked for the company for two years and given excellent evaluations during your tenure within one states…a position becomes available at another site outside of that States…so you applied and succeed in landing that position with the same company but in a different States…you even get a raise (increase in pay) because now you are in a managerial position. Well you get to the other States and you work in a managerial position, then you are moved into another position….during your reign within this new state (Georgia). You are given a position and at some point down the line you are told that they are going to lose the Site (the company have decided that the company you work for is not a good deal or ideal for them so they either planning to go with another outsourcing company) that you are working at and you are giving a letter stating that you have 30 days to find another positions within the company or you will be laid off. At any rate you find another position within the company…it is still a managerial position but the company you are working for stated they will cut your salary because that manager’s position for that site don’t pay what you are currently making…so you are forced into making a decision take or leave it. So what you do? Well you have to take it because now you are in a bind with the receiving unemployment if you decline the offer….it put the company you are working for in a good position to challenge your unemployment because you denied a position that was offers to you…now the icing to this case is the company you work for does not practice this policy any where else in the company only in one marketplace…can anyone answer this question or make this situation out.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm going to answer the underlying question without trying to follow you all around Robin Hood's barn.

It is perfectly legal for them to lower your pay as long as you are notified in advance of your working any hours at the lower rate. This remains true even if only one location of the company follows this practice.

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
I'm going to answer the underlying question without trying to follow you all around Robin Hood's barn.

It is perfectly legal for them to lower your pay as long as you are notified in advance of your working any hours at the lower rate. This remains true even if only one location of the company follows this practice.
Actually, CB, there is a problem with your post. Would you like to know where? :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Wouldn't surprise me - I'm operating on about two hours sleep (literally). So rather than my trying to follow that post again, just - I almost said, lay it on me, but then thought better of it - show me where I went off track.

BelizeBreeze

Originally Posted by cbg
Actually, Robin Hood, also known as the Earl of Huntingdon, Robert Fitzooth and the Earl of Locksley, was a common man during 12th century England at a time when the absence of Richard I, the Lion Heart forced Prince John to take the reigns of power in the feudal system of government.

Upond Richard's captivity by Leopold of Austria and subsequent ransom, Prince John reverted all landholds to the crown. Therefore, Fitzooth (a.k.a. Robin) as well as all other commoners, held no title to land, structures or other such and could not have held title to a 'Barn'. :D

Beth3

cbg, apparently you should have said "trying to follow you all around Sherwood Forrest." :D

BelizeBreeze

cbg said:
I am duly chastised. :D
I JUST COULD NOT resist ;) An earlier post about copyright for the Saturday Evening Post brought it all back so I pulled out a study I did on Feudal law and the rights of rebellion that I penned so many years ago.

Now you have my permission to put me over your knee and spank me .....PLEASE????? :eek:

So, you’re saying that a company can change your rate of pay any time they feel like it even those it is not a common practice or policy written stating such. Furthermore, you are saying that it don’t matter if they don’t practice that in one State with but yet in another State with the same company…am I understanding you correctly.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am saying that the employer is not legally prevented from lowering your pay if you are moved, for whatever reason, to a new position for which the standard pay rate is lower. I am also saying that the law does not require there to be a written policy authorizing a particular action before said action can be taken, and I am saying that an employer may legally have different practices at different locations.

BelizeBreeze

empowerment said:
So, you’re saying that a company can change your rate of pay any time they feel like it even those it is not a common practice or policy written stating such. Furthermore, you are saying that it don’t matter if they don’t practice that in one State with but yet in another State with the same company…am I understanding you correctly.
ah yep. :D

Beth3

So, you’re saying that a company can change your rate of pay any time they feel like it even those it is not a common practice or policy written stating such. Yes.

Furthermore, you are saying that it don’t matter if they don’t practice that in one State with but yet in another State with the same company Yes.

Okay, understanding your reply…however, while this may be legal…I still have some problem with this practicing only affecting a select group of people based on their color….but not to their white counterparts in the same position…only people salary are cut seem to be mostly the African American….in instance where a white person was involved, they were not giving salary deductions nor where they force to quit…basically they were just given another position with no changes in pay structure. Seems to be a double standard…the question is proving such .....can the records of the company be call in to review to see if such practicing is only affecting one group instead of the other?

Beth3

Whoa. If the salary reductions are based on race, that's a whole different matter. If you believe race and/or national origin is the determining factor then you and anyone else who is adversely affected may file a complaint of prohibited discrimination with his/her State's equal rights division or the federal EEOC. They will investigate and request the appropriate records from the employer to determine if it's likely discrimination occurred.

Just keep in mind though - an individual can have their salary reduced or be terminated IN SPITE OF his or her race, just not because of it.

P.S. Next time you post here, you should include all the pertinent facts right from the start.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">