• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Past employers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jakquar

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

I have been working in the engineering field (designer) for sometime now. I am nearing 50 years old. I was fired (but given unemployment)...I believe because a "new" manager disliked me and was given entry level work at a high pay rate...so I always complained (I know better now).
Anyway, what do I do if my past employer is giving bad references? Do I write him a letter? Moreover, I was unemployed for over 1 1/2 years...no calls at anytime. But, recently I have had (5) interviews and rejected everytime. I just don't know if its my age or past employer.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Given the current state of the employment market, it's entirely possible that it's for neither reason.

However, to answer your question, it depends entirely on what is being said. A bad reference is not illegal. Only an untrue reference is.

And when I say untrue, that's exactly what I mean. "Jakquar was fired for stealing" when Jakquar was laid off for lack of work is an untrue refererence. "Jakquar was fired for stealing" when Jakquar was caught with his hand in the petty cash drawer and $5,000 in cash in his pocket, is a true and legal reference. "We did not think Jakquar was a good employee" is an opinion and protected - also legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">