• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I quit and filed for Unemployment....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tricia135

What is the name of your state?California
I filed a claim for unemployment. I have a telephone interview coming up as to why a resigned. I was diagnosed with acute stress, anxiety,and depression which was aquired while I was employed with the correctional facility( youth prison ) that I was employed with. I was off on disability for two months due to my condition and sought medical treatment. All three of my doctors felt that the disorder was only worsening at the prison I was employed with due to the dangerous and volatile nature of the environment. I tried talking to the administration, the union, eeo, none of which offered any help. My doctors advised that I was not mentally fit to work in this environment but could most likely be fit in some other type of work, and since I got no support from my employer, I decided to resign and am going to school and seeking new employment. Will I be eligible for Unemployment Benefits untill I find a new job?????

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Only someone from your state's unemployment commission can say for absolutely certain, because it's incredibly situation and state specific. However, I have to tell you that the answer is probably no, you will not be eligible. The very large majority of people who quit do not receive benefits. Having a good reason to quit is NOT the same thing as having "good cause" to quit for unemployment purposes, and the standard you have to reach to get benefits if you quit is incredibly high.

Beth3

Plus you're also attending school which may make you unavailable for work or at least significantly restrict your work options at the present. Among the minimum requirements for UC eligibility is that the claimant be available for work and actively seeking work.

Beth3

A good reason to quit might be because one's boss is an abusive jerk or because one has an ill child who needs full-time parental care. Good reasons to quit but those aren't reasons that would make one eligible for unemployment benefits. "Good cause" however is specifically and very narrowly defined in each State's UC statutes. No one here can give you an all-inclusive list but an example would be an employee who is being sexually harassed, has complained to the employer about it but the harassment continues. In that situation, the employee would have "good cause" to quit and therefore would be eligible for unemployment benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">