• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WA - 1st Speeding Ticket - HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redindian

What is the name of your state? WA
-------------------------------------
I got a '60zone - going 75+ (82)' in StateHighway 12 Grey Harbor county in Washington State.

Its 100 miles away from where I live (Seattle). I would like to fight the ticket, but to drive 100miles to do that is discouraging. I would like to know, under the cicumstances, what are the options ?

I have a clean record till now, I would like to keep it that way - I speed, I do it responsibly within limits (usually 80mph) I drive a 325 BMW, and its a pretty good handling car at higher speeds.

1) Can I admit guilt and go to traffic school ? - do I have to appear in court for that ?

2) Can I admit guilt and ask for probation(1 year with no ticket) ? - do I have to appear in court for that ?

3) Can I fight ticket remotely ? over phone ? or mail ?

4) WHEN will the ticket get into my record ? Now ? After I admit guilt ? or if I fight after the judgement ?

5) Hear this out, dont laugh :) --- The ticket is for $142, if I send $150 and when the court sends back $8, I dont cash it. I heard the court books must be balanced before ticket goes into my record ? So with $8 pending they hold off.?

6) Another sneaky one, My Insurance company has my old driver licence from CA (expired 1 month back). I switched it to WA last month. But they donno it yet. Should I just play mum, as the ticket is given for WA lic#. Yeah, eventually they will come to know or ask for updated one - this just extends the inevitable...

already a week has passed, and I need to make a descision - please give some suggestions...

thanks!!

racer72

1. Washington does not offer traffic school as an option.

2. What you want to ask for is deferred prosecution. Keep your nose clean for a year and the ticket is dropped. And yes, you will have to appear in court for this.

3. Only 4 Washington counties now offered online traffic court but Grays Harbor County is not one of them.

4. It will be entered on your driving record as soon as it is filed with the court. It will appear as a pending judgment. One of 4 thing will happen after the court date, it will be shown that you were guilty, accepted reduced charges, dismissed, or deferred.

5. Thats an urban legend. Many courts will just hang on to the overpayment till a refund is requested.

6. The next time your policy is due for renew, your insurance company will find the changes. Failure to disclose your change will result in your policy being cancelled and you will probably have to get high risk insurance. Insurance companies don't like customers that jack them around. And it can get very expensive when you find out your insurance has been cancelled when you need it the most.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">