• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting Fees for Indepedent Contracting Services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bizthinker

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I have a verbal contract with a chirpractor to provide professional massage services in his office, on an independant contracting basis. The verbal agreement states only that he keeps 50% of the fees I charge and pays me twice a month. On paydays, I'm only paid for the fees collected during that two week period. Sometimes those fees are for services rendered several months prior on patients whose fees are paid for by insurance companies, workers comp, etc.

Now I wish to sever the relationship and discontinue work in his office. Is the chiropractor legally bound to pay me all fees due me upon my departure, or do I still have to wait until he is paid by the insurance companies?

I know that, since there is no written contract, he probably does not have to pay me now, but is there some kind of legal jargon I can include in my notice of "resignation" that will persuade him to pay me in full?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">