• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MA question in regards to 2 weeks notice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scottycbr600

What is the name of your state?MA

I gave three weeks notice to my company and then they let me go the same day. They said that they do not have to pay me for any of that time. Is that correct? I mean I was trying to not screw them over and give them a fair amount of time. Do they have to at least pay me out my Vacation time?

S

C

CheeseBlotto

In the U.S., they would be well within their rights. Don't know about the People's Republic of Massachusetts.
:p

Beth3

I gave three weeks notice to my company and then they let me go the same day. They said that they do not have to pay me for any of that time. Is that correct? Yes, that is correct.

They must pay you your vacation pay if company policy states that it will be paid to terminating employees.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No, they do not have to pay you for your notice period.

They DO have to pay you for any earned but unused vacation time, regardless of company policy. (Sorry Beth.)

Beth3

Here's the wording of my source:

"Final wages include vacation pay, when vacation pay is provided under an oral or written employment agreement." So that DOESN'T mean it's a matter of company policy?

BelizeBreeze

Beth3 said:
Here's the wording of my source:

"Final wages include vacation pay, when vacation pay is provided under an oral or written employment agreement." So that DOESN'T mean it's a matter of company policy?
Company Policy? I think Judge Judy aleady ruled on that issue :D

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
MA is weird. They're trying to say that the employer is not required to offer paid vacation, but if they do, it has to be paid out on term, regardless.

Believe me, I've had this discussion with the AG's office on more than one occasion.

I did a long post earlier today on another thread (I think it was on Wage and Salary) about how the confusion came into being. I'll try to find it and post a link, rather than post it again.

inshock1

Know how you feel

Same thing is happening to me. I tried to do the right thing with my employer and not leave in the middle of the end of year chaus and now they are screwing me out of a week's pay. I live in N.Y., so, I guess it doesn't matter where you are from.

Bottom line: Next time, don't think of anyone else except yourself. Know that once you let your company know you are leaving, they can drop their " good employer " act.

I'm hoping that I'll be running into my ex-boss again somewhere down the road. It's a small world in my industry, maybe one day when he really needs a job, I'll be able to repay him. what goes around does come around most of the time, doesn't it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">