• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

106 in a 65 and reckless driving, please help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halley

What is the name of your state? Indiana

I'm from Illinois and on my way back to school I was caught by a cop hiding behind a bridge. I hear that could possibly work to my advantage but I'm not sure. Theses are the first tickets I have recieved and I'm 18 years old. I got a 106 in a 65 and reckless driving. I'm not sure exactly how much the reckless driving ticket even costs! They wouldn't tell me anything at all. I don't know if I can get supervision and if my insurance will go up, considering I wasn't driving my car. The only insurance info he got was my friend's who's car I was driving...please help me otherwise I'm kinda screwed!

Thanks, Halley

rmet4nzkx

How do you know he was hiding behind a bridge, you were going too fast to see, almost twice the max legal limit, they won't tell you what your punishment will be, because the judge will tell you when you go to court. I hope you live on camus close enough to walk to class, because you will be walking to class for a long time as well as limping because you are screwed :eek:

Halley writes:

. . . I was caught by a cop hiding behind a bridge. I hear that could possibly work to my advantage but I'm not sure.

It won’t make any difference.

Theses are the first tickets I have recieved and I'm 18 years old.

That could help you.

I got a 106 in a 65 and reckless driving.

Therefore, you need an attorney.

check the attorneys at www.attorneypages.com

. . .considering I wasn't driving my car. The only insurance info he got was my friend's who's car I was driving...

It won’t matter. Generally, the state does not report directly to the insurance company; the insurance company asks for your record – upon renewal, major change, claim, etc – and the state provides your record.

More importantly, learn how to speed. Avoiding police attention so that you don’t win the negative lotto is a worthwhile skill to learn.

rmet4nzkx writes:

[i[How do you know he was hiding behind a bridge, [sic] you were going too fast to see. . .[/i]

What? Do we become blind at higher speeds, not withstanding the theoretical changes at the speed of light? Why couldn’t he see even at 106 mph?

Last edited by a moderator:

Halley

Thank you, James.

James, thanks for your thoughtful response.

The rest of you are ignorant and I'm just going to disregard the first 2 comments.

I also had one more question, is it even possible for me to get supervision for these tickets or should I just spring for the lawyer and wish for the best?

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

Halley said:
James, thanks for your thoughtful response.

The rest of you are ignorant and I'm just going to disregard the first 2 comments.
Like you disregard the speed laws? 70 or 80 maybe, but 106! You have a serious attention problem then.

You my friend are the one who is ignorant!

. . . is it even possible for me to get supervision for these tickets or should I just spring for the lawyer and wish for the best?

Because of the reckless charge you need an attorney.

For what it's worth: Not long ago I had driven from Cheyenne, WY about 300 miles west on I-80, cruising about 95-98 mph. I had been passed several times by drivers above the century mark but the best one was the last one. A little blue-haired granny in a Lincoln Town Car passed me at about a buck ten.

Halley

Thanks, again.

Well, that does make me feel a little better. Something just tells me I'd be better off if I was a little white haired granny. Thanks for the advice, lawyer here I come.

And, to rmet4nzkx, I highly doubt that you've never sped in your life...so If I really wanted you to crucify me for going over the speed limit and being totally in control of my vehicle and NOT causing an accident or any disturbance AT ALL, then I would have asked. Thanks. Good to know I have your permission to go 70 or 80. I do believe the words "sit in your tower" come to my mind right now...

...and to whoever asked, I was driving my friend's 2004 Altima.

rmet4nzkx

At this rate you won't live to be a blue-haired granny.

No I didn't give you permission to drive 70 or 80, but those are common sppeds for people to reach on long streaches of interstate highways, 106 is another story.

It doesn't matter what your thoughts are about me, you are the one who is ignorant, go ahead, tell the judge that it is ok because you had control of your car and didn't have an accident or kill anyone yet! Furthermore, it's ok because someone on the internet told you that they were passed once in WY by a blue-haired granny going a buck-ten! Sure, tell him that and he'll laugh, tell you, "well son, I'm glad you don't listen to those who tell you to follow the speed laws, I'm throwing your case out and what the heck, lets break for recess and we'll celebrate your intelligence by tossing back a few brews before you hit the road" :D

In your dreams.

How much do you think an attorney is going to cost you to defend this? They will laugh at you all the way to the bank and add you to the list of idiots that pay for their toys.

In the begining you asked if you are screwed, you are and now you are going to pay for it one way or the other. No one forced you to drive nearly twice the max legal limit. That makes you an ignorant idiot who will someday wish they had got their act together before something awful happened.

Do let us know how much this eventualy costs you and the sentence you receive.

carofl93

You are most assuredly screwed. I had a single car accident when I was 18. I was ticketed for reckless driving and doing 60 in a 35. I injured no one in my accident but my own stupid self and totalled my car. Now that I am older and wiser (and a mom) I look back on the way I was acting then and thank God that I wasn't killed, and that I didn't kill anyone else since there was another car on the 2 lane road I was speeding down. As a part of my "sentence" (not imposed by a judge, but my own parents), I got to see the photos of my own dad who had gone through a windshield while a passenger in a car driven by a jacka$$ much like myself. The photos were taken prior to his 6 years of plastic surgery. For my legal sentence, I got 4 points taken off of my drivers license and it took 3 ticket free years to get those points reinstated...that part was easy because I was scared to death to get in a car, much less behind the wheel. I also paid fines in the ammount of $400, plus I lost my car (thankfully it was fully insured) and had to walk or ride the city bus to work daily. I hope that you have learned a lesson from your situation, I know I did.

Carol

carofl93 writes:

As a part of my "sentence" (not imposed by a judge, but my own parents), I got to see the photos of my own dad who had gone through a windshield while a passenger in a car driven by a jacka$$ much like myself.

Yeah, that's what we want out on our highways, drivers too scared to make rational decisions.

carofl93

I didn't drive for 2 years after my accident because of the fear that I would have another. Now I am a much better driver. :p

C

CheeseBlotto

The one person you believe is helping you is 1) NOT an attorney, AFAIK, and 2) frequently gives incorrect advice on these matters.

For anyone (especially the younger, inexperienced drivers) who would like to learn better how to drive and control thier cars. I'd strongly recommend participating in a performance driving school and/or local autocross / Solo 2 events.

It's a blast, gives you a chance to have fun in your car in a safe way with people who love to drive. Most clubs hook up to local tracks for training and high speed driving. Much more fun and safer than doing it in public.

The cost of one reckless driving charge will buy a lot of track time or a week of training at a good performance driving school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">