• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Were my rights violated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ava2212

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I was involved in a car accident and received PIP payments from my insurer. My insurer then brought a direct action against the third party carrier for subrogation/reimbursement of the payments made to me. In doing so, my insurer sent my medical bills to the third party carrier without any type of release from me allowing them to do so. The medical bills contained the medical codes of my treatment and I feel this is private information. My question is this, did my insurer violate my rights by doing this? Didn't they need a signed medical authorization/release to do this?

rmet4nzkx

When you make your claim you sign a release, you are releasing at least the informaiton required to process 3rd party payments, which will include treatment and diagnostic codes, dates of service and billing informaiton. If there is a dispute then other releases might be required for more information. The problem with being an accident victim, is that your right to confidentiality is violated in the process in order to receive compensation. If only your car was damaged, the insurer will question existing damage when computing the damages, it is basically the same thing and why they need the codes.

ava2212

Violation of HIPAA?

Massachusetts.

I was involved in a car accident and received PIP payments from my automobile insurer. After making payments, my auto insurer pursued subrogation against the third party carrier who was liable for the payments. Would it be considered a violation of HIPAA for my automobile insurer to release my medical bills (that contained medical codes of treatment) to the third party carrier/adverse carrier in their pursuit of subrogation?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
No. It wouldn't.

How many times do you plan to ask the same question?

Meagan123

were my rights violated?

I recently began working at an ice cream place by my home. Only being fourteen, this was my first job. I worked there for one day training and was told to come back on Wednesday and Thursday of this week. Until today I recieved a phone call saying I was fired because I am lefthanded and had trouble with the ice cream scooper. I thought this to be a very biast reason for being fired, and have me wondering if my rights were violated. I would greatly appreciate anyone with advice to help me in this situation.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">