• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help me! 3 tickets at once!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tennisisforfun1

Oklahoma:

Hey, i'm 17 and live in Oklahoma. One day I was driving down the interstate and went past a police officer going 87 in a 70. The officer pulled me over and followed protocol, asking for my insurance, drivers license, etc. He went back to his vehicle and told me that my tag was expired, my insurance was expired, and that I was driving in a reckless manner. He wasn't friendly at all although I was very cordial.

I'm really worried about these three tickets, i'm a minor and the insurance is in my parents names. I had no idea they hadn't renewed it. So I basically got close to 400.00 in tickets and he gave me a date to appear in court. I can't pay the tickets and neither can my parents. I also cannot appear in court. Its over 3 hours from my house and its on a school day. I'm not sure what to do. What will happen to me for not paying these tickets? Will a warrant be issued for my arrest...if so, wouldn't I have to be pulled over for another violation for them to find out I had a warrant? I've had two tickets before, but they said they wouldn't affect my insurance and they've both been paid. I'm just not sure what to do about these three or what will happen to me? I don't even think its jouvenile court although I won't be 18 for 6 more months. Help me?!

Tennisisforfun1 writes:

Hey, i'm 17 and live in Oklahoma. One day I was driving down the interstate and went past a police officer going 87 in a 70. The officer pulled me over and followed protocol, asking for my insurance, drivers license, etc. He went back to his vehicle and told me that my tag was expired, my insurance was expired, and that I was driving in a reckless manner. He wasn't friendly at all although I was very cordial.

A disproportionate number of cops as aѕѕholes because they have to deal with a disproportionate number of aѕѕholes on a day to day basis and come to believe that the world is populated by those types and, in their limited world, it is. He wasn’t nice? Get over it. It makes no difference to your case either way unless he was biased to the point of ignoring the requirements of the law. I doubt that happened.

Sidebar: 87 mph under usual conditions on I-40 or I-35 is not particularly fast. Did something else draw his attention to you? Was it one of the yahoos in Paul’s Valley infamous speed trap?

I'm really worried about these three tickets, i'm a minor and the insurance is in my parents names. I had no idea they hadn't renewed it.

I’m confused. Are you saying that your parents allowed their registration and insurance to lapse and allowed you to drive without telling you about it? Or perhaps there is just an administrative issue and you had the wrong documentation? Or am I reading too much into it? I’m also confused about whether he did or did not issue you a reckless driving charge or just speeding, expired tag (registration) and expired insurance?

So I basically got close to 400.00 in tickets and he gave me a date to appear in court. I can't pay the tickets and neither can my parents. I also cannot appear in court. Its over 3 hours from my house and its on a school day.

With all due respect, the courts are not accustomed to accommodating defendants; they operate for the convenience of the court, court personnel and officers of the court. You have no choice but to be there, even so far as missing a day in school. I suggest that you obtain a continuance from the court – in writing – today. Tell the court you are seeking counsel, which, of course, you are. If you have the reckless charge, then you definitely need an attorney.

I'm not sure what to do. What will happen to me for not paying these tickets? Will a warrant be issued for my arrest...if so, wouldn't I have to be pulled over for another violation for them to find out I had a warrant.

If you do not appear, a warrant will be issued and the first time you’re stopped for anything – which will happen – you’ll likely be arrested and will face additional charges and have to pay out additional money. Do not let the court date go by without responding, even if it’s just for a continuance.

Hints: Always keep your registration (“tags” in OK) and your insurance current and easily accessible in your car, clipped to the back of the driver’s visor. Keep your lights in working order and use them. Keep your license current and easily accessible. Do not give the cop anything to add to the already unfortunate circumstance of winning the negative lotto.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">