• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statutory rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyGurl2235

Ok I live in Missouri. I am a 17 year old female in the Navy Delayed Entry Program. I just started talking to a 26 year old male who is married and also in the Navy. He says that we are going to have sex. He may just be joking around but just incase he is not I was wanting to know the laws about this so i have more information on what would happen if i went along with it. I would appreciate any information anyone has that would help me. Thank you. :confused:

BelizeBreeze

Are you concerned because you're worried you might be found guilty of statutory rape or did you want to plan a criminal charge against him because he didn't perform up to expectations?

badapple40

NavyGurl2235 said:
Ok I live in Missouri. I am a 17 year old female in the Navy Delayed Entry Program. I just started talking to a 26 year old male who is married and also in the Navy. He says that we are going to have sex. He may just be joking around but just incase he is not I was wanting to know the laws about this so i have more information on what would happen if i went along with it. I would appreciate any information anyone has that would help me. Thank you. :confused:
First of all, you can't be charged with anything regarding statutory rape. Statutory rape laws are made to protect the minor and there is a legal doctrine out there that you can't be charged when you are the person who is to be protected under the statute.

Second of all, the military "age of consent" is 16. However, military law, via Article 134, can incorporate state law, which may include corruption of a minor.

But thats not the real concern for either of you, as I see it. Military law forbids adultery. You know he is married. If you two sleep together, it is adultery. The catch is that there is argument that the adultery provision is unconstitutional on at least an as-applied basis. As such, it might not be constitutional to punish him (or you after you are all official) for it. But do you really want to be the test case?

Ohh, and until you raise your right hand when you get shipped to where you ship off to, you are not subject to military jurisdiction, so all of the above is inapplicable to you until you raise your right hand and promise to support and defend...

BelizeBreeze

And add to that the minute she rasies her hand and takes the oath, in Missouri, she is emancipated, no longer considered a minor. :D

rmet4nzkx

and until then your parents could press charges against him on various charges aside from statutory rape.

Better to start out in your military career with a clean slate, there are better fish in the sea than that one, if that is what he is doing now, how will you be able to trust him in the future?

NavyGurl2235

Ok so I know that i can not be charged with statatory rape but he can. I am not going to turn him in or anything. I was wondering if i could be charged with adultry or be in violation of an Article of the Navy. I have already rose my right hand and swore in once but i dont leave for basic for 6 months so am i not yet completely considered to be in? I heard that the age of consent in the military was 18. Is it 18 or 16?

Happy Trails

NavyGurl2235 said:
Well hey I would appreciate anyone who would answer my questions asap. Thank you
Badapple40 has already answered that for you.

Why would you want to get into that type of situation anyway?

AHA

HE says you are going to have sex???? What, you don't have a say in the matter? If he says "we are going to have sex now", you would just get undressed and lie down for him? Why in heavens name would you ever even consider having sex with someone who obviously sees you as his personal little toy that he can squeeze whenever HE wants to? Why would you ever even get involved with a man who is so much older than you AND MARRIED??? You do realise he's just playing with you to get some young flesh don't you?
Get some self respect and get away from that prime example of major a$$ jerk!!!! Jeez, a so called man like that wouldn't get within 10 feet of me or any woman I know, much less in bed!!!!!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

NavyGurl2235 said:

My response:

I just love a girl who plans ahead!

IAAL

Last edited by a moderator:

NavyGurl2235

Ok plain and simple. If we sleep together or take part in any other sexual activities can I be charged with adultry or fratenization? :confused:

rmet4nzkx said:
and until then your parents could press charges against him on various charges aside from statutory rape.
Highly doubtful. If the age of consent in Missouri is 16, then the age of consent is 16. If the legislature wanted adults prosecuted for having sex with 17 year olds then they would have made the age of consent 18. They didn't do that. You can't use some general interference with parental rights theory to override the legislature's intent to make the age of consent 16. I guarantee you that if the parents filed a criminal complaint based on a 17 year old having sex with an adult, it would in about two seconds be filed in the prosecutor's wastebasket.

By the way, people don't "press charges", prosecutors do.

She might well have problems with adultery being a violation of military law. I don't mean to defend her actions. She's certainly an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">