• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Termination after Complaint

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RavishingRed

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? IL

I have worked at a job for two years last month. I have had one written warning, and no Notice Of Violations (severe punishment). I have been a crew leader there, and considered for management before going part time four months ago. On Sunday, October 11 I brought to my General Manager's attention that I knew she was doing drugs and drinking alcohol with other employees, and I thought that was wrong, she of course, denied it all. On Thursday 12/2 my managers car was vandalized. She told the police it was me without any evidence, or proof. The police have not even questioned me and I was with friends all night. On Friday night I had a meeting with my district manager filing a formal complaint of harrassment for my manager "fingering" me for the vandalism with no cause. I told him the reason I was being harrassed was that I knew about the illegal drug use and alcohol use with employees. I explained that since I knew this was going on she was mad at me and told the police that I vandalized her car. I was asked to not come into work Saturday 12/4 while there were investigations into my manager's behavior. After filing the complaint against my manager, my employment was terminated Monday 12/6 for no reason, stating that it was at the will of the company. Can you be fired, for no reason, after filing a formal complaint against a manager? What resources can I utilize to get my job back?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In most cases, you are only protected from retaliation for making a complaint if you complain to the appropriate regulatory agency. Only a VERY few states offer "whistleblower" protection to those who make internal complaints, and to the best of my knowledge, Illinois is not one of them. However, it wouldn't hurt to check with the IDOL since there may be some I don't know about.

If IL does not offer internal protection, then see Belieze's answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">