• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

non-working fire hydrant in nyc

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nyc_righteous

What is the name of your state? NY

2 a.m. - searching for a parking spot in manhattan. Noticed an obvious non-working fire hydrant (no caps, no yellow curb markings). Parked approximately 3 feet away from hydrant - returned the next morning to find a ticket stuck in my hood (!!!!), not even on the windshield. With my cell phone camera, took pictures of the hydrant, and my parked car near the hydrant (license plate visible, no yellow markings surrounding hydrant). Can I fight this ticket???

You Are Guilty

nyc_righteous said:
What is the name of your state? NY

2 a.m. - searching for a parking spot in manhattan. Noticed an obvious non-working fire hydrant (no caps, no yellow curb markings). Parked approximately 3 feet away from hydrant - returned the next morning to find a ticket stuck in my hood (!!!!), not even on the windshield. With my cell phone camera, took pictures of the hydrant, and my parked car near the hydrant (license plate visible, no yellow markings surrounding hydrant). Can I fight this ticket???
You certainly can (see my old replies for the specific how-to) but you wouldn't have more than a 50-50 shot.

s. 4-08(e)(2): Stopping, standing and parking is prohibited
Within 15 feet of a fire hydrant, unless otherwise indicated by signs, or parking meters...
No mention of "working" or "operational" meters in the law, so I'll wager they'll keep you on the hook for it. Check the ticket for other deficiencies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">