• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repay for training if I quit or get fired?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cashm0ney

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Hi I just accepted a job with a company and on the second day I was asked to fill out the standard paper work. One of the forms was a consent to repay the employer for all training expenses if I don't continue working for 1 year for whatever reason. The "agreement" refers to this training as a loan. Is this standard? Can I refuse to sign it? I believe that this is a risk the employeer needs to take am I wrong?

The job requires specialized vendor training which is said to be expensive, but I'm not sure I want take out another "loan" for this job as the pay is very low and I might not enjoy or last an entire year.

Advice??

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
While I'm not going to say it's standard, it's not uncommon either. Whether it's enforceable depends on state law and the EXACT wording of the agreement.

They can't force you to sign it but they don't have to continue to employ you if you refuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">