• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lien sale help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hamhawk714

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?CA
My car was impounded last week,for exp DL,no reg,(car hadn't been reg since 97).no proof of ins.and failing to come to complete stop.I called the tow co the very next day and they said I owed them $215 already and would have to reg. it in my name,get proof of ins.pay the sheriffs dept$114 and then whatever i owed the tow co.I only paid $400 for it,but I don't want to let it go I liked the car,BMW 320I.My question is has anyone ever bought their own car back through a lien sale?The tow co.said I could sign it over to them for $150 +whatever storage fees were accrued by then.I've been researching lien sales and alot of cars go for $150-250.Would they have any objections to me getting it back that way?They are supposed to send reg. letter to the legal owner the reg.owner and 'any interested parties'that would be me.So is it doable?I can get the lost title for about 65$ from dmv.

CdwJava

The purchaser would still be responsible to pay for registration and insurance fees ... AND you could still be on the hook for the balance of the tow fees that were not recovered by the lien sale.

It's an interesting twist, but you will still have to pay for the thing ... and you couldn't drive it away without a license.

And future cites for driving without a license could be charged as a misdemeanor.

- Carl

Hamhawk714

CdwJava The purchaser would still be responsible to pay for registration and insurance fees ... AND you could still be on the hook for the balance of the tow fees that were not recovered by the lien sale.

It's an interesting twist, but you will still have to pay for the thing ... and you couldn't drive it away without a license.

And future cites for driving without a license could be charged as a misdemeanor.

- Carl

I took care of the license yesterday,it was expired,I had to take just one side of the test and pay 24 dollar fee,I should have taken care of it a long time ago.Might not of impounded it.An exgirlfriend had her 91 Accord impounded,she was the registered owner,didn't hear a thing for almost a year,then they send a letter saying they "auctioned"her car off and they were applying the $85 it sold for to her $1,200 bill.I wouldn't want that to happen here.My mother used to manage a self storage facility and they would encourage the tennants to bid on their units when they sold them,,the tennant would most times pay more than a stranger would ,and the reason for a lien sale is to try and pay the outstanding balance.This the same thing basically.Do you know if driving on a expired D/L is a correctable offense?
Thank You
Jason

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">