• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Reasons for a continuance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

notb

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MA

Folks,

What reasons do you think would be acceptable to the court to issue a hearing continuance? The Ayer District Court (Massachusetts) scheduled my hearing for New Year's Eve 12pm (noon) when I will be abroad. I called the office of the clerk magistrate and they made it sound like simply not being able to be there was not good enough of an excuse.

Moreover, they stated they would staple my mailed request to my case and the court would make a decision on issuing a continuance the day of the hearing! That does not make a whole lot of sense to me because if they refuse, you are automatically found guilty with literally not time to do anything about it.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">