• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Does the employer have the right...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaensch

What is the name of your state? WI
There is a rumor going around about a co-worker, and I wanted to find out if was true before passing judgement. I found out the rumor was true. I work on a press an was discussing it with the other pressman when my supervisor overheard me and threatened to fire me. I'm non union and don't have a contract with the employer. Don't I have the right of freedom of speech? Please help.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Your employer is legally within his rights.

The US Constitution provides that the GOVERNMENT cannot restrict your speech. Your employer, however, not being the government, can limit what is said by his employees on his premises.

"Freedom of speech" does not mean that you can say anything you like at any time with no possible repercussions.

cbg said:
Your employer is legally within his rights.

The US Constitution provides that the GOVERNMENT cannot restrict your speech. Your employer, however, not being the government, can limit what is said by his employees on his premises.

"Freedom of speech" does not mean that you can say anything you like at any time with no possible repercussions.
I totally co-sign cbg.........besides being a gossip queen at work or anywhere for that matter is very unbecoming ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">