• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this MY job?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

FanofHal

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: What is the name of your state? Ca
I have never had to have a lawyer before. I have never had a car Accident before.
I was rear-ended and was recommended a lawyer who took my case on contingency.(standard 1/3 here in Southern Cal) My medical care is all wrapped up and the medical records have been released to said lawyer who then forwarded them to the Insurance company to peruse and then I guess make me an offer. He has been very unavailable to me but I have found out that he has sent the packet of medical records and bills to the Insurance company on Sept 22. He gave them 10 days to respond (but learned they really have 30).
I have heard nothing from the Lawyer, as he has, like I said been very unavailable to me, but now its months later. I finally got him to call me back but only to get my voice mail. His message is that the Insurance company is going to send me some of the bills they were sent. They want me to go through them and take out any bills that do not pertain to the accident.(?)
My questions are:
Why would any bills be sent that did not have to do with my accident in the first place? (diagnosis. Lumbar thoracic sprain/Sciatica). Bills for my birth control injections were sent as well as when I had the flu.

Why would I need to weed these out, doesn't the lawyer have an ICD-9 Book?

How hard do lawyers hound the insurance companies to get a move on, mine seems to be dragging his feet. My bills were only 7500.00 and loss of wages less than $500.00. Is it because his 1/3 is going to be paltry?

And does anyone know what I might "see" from this Accident? I am not wanting to be greedy, just wondering ? Its been a year of financial trouble stemming from this accident and I wouldn't mind being in the black again.
Thank you for your time, I am sure the lawyers on this forum aren't as flakey as mine. :D

S

seniorjudge

FanofHal said:
Why would I need to weed these out, doesn't the lawyer have an ICD-9 Book?

Because if he missed one, then you would be further miffed.

I don't blame you. Lawyers who do not return phone calls or communicate with clients are the bane of the profession.

Camp out in his office.

FanofHal

Thank you for responding

Thanks for a reply, I Thought I had to say I was dating a 14 year old and lived in a Double-wide trailer in order to get a response here, just to make my post more "juicy" :D . The letter from the Insurance company to my Lawyer was dated October 18!! I just got it last week, and they didn't have the bills for my Physical therapy either. So you were right I am miffed. I will weed it thru and make sure they have it all. I don't think the insurance company is going to have any respect for this Lawyer either when we finally come down to the actual negotiations. Can I fire him, even though he is hired on contingency, without having to pay him anything?

S

seniorjudge

FanofHal said:
...I was dating a 14 year old and lived in a Double-wide trailer in order to get a response here, just to make my post more "juicy"

Tell me more.

Oh, and who you hire as your attorney is your own decision. See what your employment contract with your attorney says about the situation you asked about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">