• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Security Clearance for Government

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

logical252

What is the name of your state? Maryland

I am in the process of filling out paperwork for a security clearance with a governement agency. I presently work for the government, but did not need a clearance for this posiition.

Here is my questions: If I filed bankruptcy twice in my life does that automatically disqualify me for a clearance? Also one was a longtime ago, not on my credit report anymore, should I report it on the application?

Also, about 20 yrs ago I got in trouble with a misdemeanor, it was expunged from the records. (Caught with an alcoholic beaverage on the beach). Is this also a problem, and should I mention it on the application?

Thanks.

enjay

Mention everything on the application. Mention the charge that was expunged because the bureau will find it anyway. You don't want to appear to be hiding anything. 2 bankruptcies will hurt your chances for a clearance, particularly if one was recent. Write them down and explain to the best of your ability why you declared bankruptcy and what changes you have made to your financial situation that shows why you should be trusted.

My personal feeling...if you are just getting a secret clearance, your history may not hurt you. For a top secret...I'd guess you won't get it.

logical252

Security clearance

Maryland

The last recent bankruptcy is 1999. I do not think it is top secret. How would I know?

mary53

If it is top secret, chances are poor that you will get it. Bankrupcy and bad money handling usually are an automatic no, unless you have drastically changed. The reason for this is: if someone wants to bribe you for info, you're more likely to take the bribe if you need money really badly. The government will find everything, so on the form tell everything, but explain everything as well. If the clearance is just secret or confidential, you might have a chance, because they can issue clearances to people with previous convictions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">