• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(Yet another) reckless in Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chaosrunner

What is the name of your state? Maryland/Virginia

I live in MD and work in VA and on my way home last night, I got popped by a VA State Trooper.

I was speeding, but I hit my breaks as soon as I spotted him and do not think I was doing the 80 he claimed I was. I did not admit to doing anything over 65.

I'm planning on calling a lawyer later today to consult, but I figured I would ask here first:

Other than the standard actions of trying to plea bargain down the charges, there were a couple of errors on the summons. The first one was mior (misspelled address) but would listing the wrong number of doors on my vehicle count as a 'major error'?

Just curious. Thanks.

rmet4nzkx

Nice try, no cigar, mistakes on a ticket don't trump speeding.

You may have slowed down once you saw him, but he already had you peged by the time that you did that.

I don't know the attraction to speeding in VA is, because they are very strict on it and very costly to fight if you look up other threads on this forum.

Consult with an attorney, it's coing to cost you one way or the other.

I agree. Get a lawyer ASAP. Also, get your vehicle CALIBRATED too. Assuming your ticket was 80/65 Reckless, even one or two mph can make all the difference when your attorney pleads your case. Good luck.

P.S. Reckless Driving is treated as a CRIMINAL CHARGE in Virginia - CLASS 1 MISDEMEANOR, so you'd want your lawyer to make it go away, or mitigate the charge to a TRAFFIC infraction, such as improper driving, speeding or failure to obey traffic sign. You do NOT want a R/D conviction under ANY circumstances - unless you've already got a CRIMINAL RECORD, and you really don't need a SECURITY CLEARANCE in the future.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">