• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Honest Rn

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MAVERY

What is the name of your state?OHIO
YESTERDAY I WAS CALLED IN AND TERMINATED. THEY SAY IT IS A HIPAA VIOLATION. AT WORK A COUPLE WEEKS AGO, I CALLED ER (I AM LABOR AND DELIVERY RN) TO SEE IF A PERSON HAD COME IN WITH SPINAL MENINGITIS. I DID NOT KNOW THE PERSONS NAME AND DID NOT ASK.
THE REASON FOR ASKING IS BECAUSE I POSSIBLY WOULD HAVE CONTACT WITH THIS PERSON. I ALSO WORK AROUND NEWBORNS AND THIS COULD BE DEADLY. THE ER TOLD ME THE CASE HAD NOT BEEN FINALIZED AND NO MORE COULD BE DISCUSSED BECAUSE OF HIPAA. I AGREED AND HUNG UP.
I WAS TERMINATED BECAUSE OF THIS INCIDENT. THE PERSON IN ER GIVING OUT THE INFO WAS NOT. MY BOSS TOLD ME THE CLIENTS NAME ON HER OWN FREE WILL, SHE WAS NOT FIRED. SHE ALSO TOLD ME SEVERAL OTHER EMPLOYEES ASKED ABOUT THE SAME INCIDENT. THEY WERE NOT FIRED.
WHY WAS I SINGLED OUT?

HERES WHY, A MONTH AGO A MIDWIFE HAD A DELIVERY AND I WAS ONE OF THE RNS INVOLVED. THIS INFANT WENT WITHOUT OXYGEN FOR AT LEAST 2 MINUTES BEFORE DELIVERY. I DOCUMENTED THE INCIDENT AS IT HAPPENED. A WEEK LATER I WAS CALLED INTO THE MANAGEMENTS OFFICE AND WAS TOLD THE MIDWIFE WAS CONCERNED BECAUSE THIS WOULD NOT LOOK GOOD IN A COURT OF LAW. I TOLD HER I ONLY DOCUMENTED THE FACTS.
I ALSO WITNESSED THE MIDWIFE DOCUMENTING THE INFANTS HEARTRATE ON THE MONITOR STRIP AS THE MOTHERS BECAUSE SHE FELT IT WOULD NOT LOOK GOOD.
I AM AN HONEST RN, HAVE EXCELLANT CHARACTER AND BEEN A GOOD EMPLOYEE. THIS IS A SMALL TOWN AND THE THREAT OF A RN DOCUMENTING THE FACTS WAS NOT COMFORTABLE FOR THE HOSPITAL AND THE MIDWIFE. ANY THOUGHTS?

pattytx

I have no comment about your situation because it is not in my area of expertise, but I can advise you to not type in all caps in email or on the Internet. It is considered shouting, is very hard to read, and some folks will not even try.

Beth3

ANY THOUGHTS? That whether any of this constitutes a HIPAA violation is irrelevant. Your employer wasn't happy with whatever you did. Fair or not, they were free to terminate your employment.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">