• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

access to personal records after termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plcret

I live in San Diego, California and was fired from my job. I was an at will employee and understand I have few rights unless I'm one of the protected class.
Do I have a right to receive a copy of all my personal records from my former employer. If so what california labor law or code can I site? :confused:

pattytx

Actually, California does provide for limited access to some personnel records as follows:

"California law requires that employers allow employees and former employees access to their personnel files and records that relate to the employee’s performance or to any grievance concerning the employee. Labor Code Section 1198.5 Inspections must be allowed at reasonable times and intervals. To facilitate the inspection, employers must do one of the following: (1) keep a copy of each employee’s personnel records at the place where the employee reports to work, (2) make the personnel records available at the place where the employee reports to work within a reasonable amount of time following the employee’s request, or (3) permit the employee to inspect the records at the location where they are stored with no loss of compensation to the employee."

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
My understanding, and I could be wrong about this, is that under CA law, an employee is entitled to a copy of anything in their employment file that s/he has signed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">