• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seatbelt & Expired tag - FL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

choad21

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Florida
County: Alachua (Gainesville, was just visiting)

Hello all,

I'm in need of advice and not knowing anyone in the justice system I turned to the Net. I (20yr old male) was recently driving in Gainesville, FL with my cousin as my passenger (20yr old male also). We were pulled over by two State Trooper cars for an expired tag. We were not wearing our seatbelts.

The main officer we spoke to ask for the basic information (license, registration, and insurance) from myself and also an ID/driver's license from my cousin. My cousin responded by saying first by saying that he had it, then realized he did not have his wallet on him. The cop then replied to him that he was going to jail, and then told him that he was "just ****ing with him." The officer then took all the information that he could from my cousin (name and address). While jotting down the info, the officer received a cell phone call and proceeded to tell whoever that he just pulled over two kids and that he was taking them (by them I mean us) to jail. Then told the person on the phone that he really was just going to give them tickets.

The other officer (which has not said anything recieved a dispatch and left on his car). The State trooper that has done all the talking has now went back to his car and filled out the paper work for my 2 tickets (expired tag of less than 6 months, and safety belt violation; each for $74.50) and my cousin's 1 ticket (safety belt violation $74.50). The officer then told got us to sign the papers, told us about our tickets and then told me that if I got my tag renewed and showed the Clerk of Court In Gainesville/Alachua County my new registration that my fine for my expired tag would be reduced to $7.50 instead of the $74.50. He then wrote down $7.50 next to the fine amount on the paper and circled it.

Today, I called to see if I could pay the tickets over the phone and if I could read off some number on my new registration and that fine would be lowered to the $7.50. They then told me that since the registration was renewed after the ticket I would have to pay the full amount even though the Officer told me otherwise and that I even have proof that he said it (witness and paper work). So instead of paying $74.50 + $7.50...I would have to pay $74.50 + $74.50. As a college student, that is not going over very well with my money situation.

So, anyone that has adivce for me please post it. I'm wondering if I should take the expired tag to court (would that make a difference or just cost me more?) or take both of them to court for the cop harressing us about going to jail. Anything that I can do please let me know. Thanks!

Sincerely,
Chad

P.S. If there is any other needed info please let me kno and I'll be sure to get it to you. Thanks!

You Are Guilty

Uh, better pay the full amount if you don't want the State coming after you for late fees and fines. What the officer said was incorrect and holds no legal weight.

Of course, in the future, you can avoid the entire fine if you wear your seatbelt and keep your registration from lapsing.

You Are Guilty

Welcome to the club. And to be honest, that's pretty cheap. Those tickets in NYC would cost slightly more than double what you're paying. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">