• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Appeal after suspension of VA license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

New_In_FairFax

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Virginia

I got a reckless driving citation in October 2004 for driving at 55 in 25 mph school zone. I missed spotting the 25 mph zone sign and I was driving through that area for the first time.

My driving record prior to this citation was "-2" after a speeding ticket in PA and another bad control moving violation.

I have also taken a voluntary safe driving course in January 2004.

At the court, I made the mistake of not going with an attorney. Judge asked me if I want continuance but I thought I would be able to explain my case, so I refused (second mistake).

I explained that I have had a clean record of 5 years before moving to VA, and that after moving to this state I took safe driving course. I missed spotting the sign for 25 mph, otherwise I would never even have dared to speed. He did not listen to my pleas and sentenced $200 fine and 60 day suspension.

I regret my mistakes: speeding to begin with, not going with lawyer, etc. and am wondering what are my options now?

I have my wedding in a little more than a month and have to do preparations. Not being able to drive really makes things difficult.

1. Can I ask for a restricted license for going to/from work or a few other places (preparations)?
2. Can I appeal against my suspension and ask judge for lineancy citing wedding reasons?

In case I appeal, what else can I do to show that I am really repentent over speeding and that I am not a reckless driver by nature?

I live in Fairfax county.

Ouch!

There's always options,

"I regret my mistakes: ... not going with lawyer...

don't make the same mistake twice, talk to a lawyer now.

New_In_FairFax

Yes I definitely will..thanks for your suggestion!

How good are the chances of getting restricted license, in case that remains as the only option? Do I have to go to the court again?

Get a lawyer NOW, and appeal. Your ability to drive is the LEAST of your problems NOW. Why?

In the state of confusion, known as the Commonwealth of Virginia, Reckless Driving is treated as a CRIMINAL charge, same as DUI/DWI - a CLASS 1 MISDEMEANOR offense.

Don't know why - but the powers that be have seen to it. And in Northern Virginia, they're kind of anal about R/D - so without a lawyer, you don't stand a good chance of a successful outcome.

Oh, and by the way - that Reckless Driving will now pop up on every background check as a CRIMINAL CONVICTION - and you'll have to disclose it. Don't expect to pass a security clearance either - this charge WILL trip you up.

Seek counsel NOW!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">