• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnant and fired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sos2001

What is the name of your state?MD
I am six months pregnant and was recently fired from my job. I had an accident in a supermarket which caused me to spend a night in the hospital and two days on bed rest. I informed my job every step of the way and provided them with all needed doctor's notes. My schedule at work had become more and more difficult throughout my pregnancy. I have been scheduled to work between 50 -55 hours normally and during the holidays 68 hours per week. I was trying to keep up with it up until I had the accident at which point my doctor said I was over doing it and advised that I keep my schedule at no more than 40 hours per week. My doctor gave me a note and I tried to hand it in to the assistant store manager(who was filling in for the store manager) first thing in the morning, she refused to accept it and asked me to give it to the store manager directly. In a month I had seen the store manager once so I wasn't sure when I would see him again. That same afternoon he made a special trip to the store and after I explained the situation to him he fired me. Claiming he did not feel I was a good match for their company. While I was there I put up with much abuse including having only a half of an hour break while working a 10 hour work day. I worked on my feet for ten hours without the opportunity to eat or drink anything besides whatever I had at my half hour lunch break. My doctor has found me dehydrated on a few occassions. I don't feel I have been treated fairly. I am 6 months pregnant and out of a job two weeks before christmas. Please advise. Thank you.

Beth3

1. How long have you worked for this employer?

2. How many employees do they have at the location you worked at and within a 75 mile radius?

3. In the 12 months prior to your termination, did you work at least 1,250 hours?

sos2001

reply to questions

Hello Beth,
I worked for them for one month and one week.
I believe they have over one hundred employees working at their location as well as within a 75 mile radius.
I obviously did not work for them for 1,250 hours within the last 12 months as I only worked for them for one month and one week.
They recruited me from my last job where I had worked 1,250 hours.
Their corporate office knew I was pregnant before they made the job offer but the location where I was working did not know and they were very resentful of the fact when I showed up on my first day and I was pregnant. I can share more details with you and would rather do so in a private email.
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">