• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Run a red light

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bhazzard

What is the name of your state? VA

I ran a highway stop light in virginia. I cant contest that I didnt run it, because I obviously ran it. The fine for my offense is a 100 dollar fine, but the officer charged me with filure to obey a highway traffic sign, rather than a highway light... so my fine is only 30 dollars, Plus processing and fees.

First question: because he charged me wrong, can I get it dismissed?

2: Should I go to court (100 dollar fee) in hopes of lesser fines, or some sort of probation deal (my first ticket)?

3: Any other options I am missing?

Thank you so much!!!

Happy Trails

bhazzard said:
What is the name of your state? VA

I ran a highway stop light in virginia. I cant contest that I didnt run it, because I obviously ran it. The fine for my offense is a 100 dollar fine, but the officer charged me with filure to obey a highway traffic sign, rather than a highway light... so my fine is only 30 dollars, Plus processing and fees.

First question: because he charged me wrong, can I get it dismissed?

2: Should I go to court (100 dollar fee) in hopes of lesser fines, or some sort of probation deal (my first ticket)?

3: Any other options I am missing?

Thank you so much!!!
No, you can't get it dismissed.

I'm curious, maybe I'm missing something. The fine should have cost you $100.00, but due to an error they are only charging you $30.00+ etc.

You want to know if you should go to court (which will cost you $100.00) to see if you can get the fine lowered? HUH

bhazzard

how do you mean

Robbie0723 said:
He's in VA, the fine is the least of his worries.
This is my first ticket... so I am curious, and a little bit worried... what do you mean by that?

bhazzard

Why go to court?

No, I dont want to go to court to get the fines lowered. I want to go to court in hopes of the judge having mercy on me and dropping the ticket or waiving the points on my license. It is my first offense, so maybe I have a chance? But I live in VA, so what is likely?

Happy Trails

Well I just don't know what the Judge may or may not do. I did find out that your violation carries 3-demerit points and would stay on your record for 3-years. If you end up with any other violations then they would add more.

You could take a 'driver improvement clinic'. If you are age 18 or older, you may be awarded five safe driving points after you successfully complete a driver improvement clinic. If a court requires you to complete a clinic, the court determines if you will be awarded safe driving points.

The classes are no-more than $75.00.

Try this link:

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/points.asp

You may get some answers there. Good luck.

bhazzard

Thanks

Thanks for your help. Now what if I am prepaying the ticket, but DMV sends me a sheet saying that I have to participate in a class? Do I get points... do I have to go to court to get points... I am so confused.

Happy Trails

bhazzard said:
Thanks for your help. Now what if I am prepaying the ticket, but DMV sends me a sheet saying that I have to participate in a class? Do I get points... do I have to go to court to get points... I am so confused.
Then by prepaying you would be admitting guilt. Of course you know you have committed a traffic violation. Just they made an error as to which one. You do not have to go to court to get the points (see below).

Moving Violations and Point Assessments

When you are convicted of a traffic violation, the court notifies the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). DMV does the following:

1. posts the conviction to your driving record;
2. assigns you demerit points according to the severity of the offense;
3. issues an order of suspension, if applicable;
4. issues an order requiring the successful completion of a driver
improvement clinic, if applicable; and
5. notifies your insurance company upon request.

Found at: http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/drivers/points_assess.asp

Notice the 'if applicable' after 3 and 4. I think you are panicking too much. You have received the lowest demerit points assigned. There are greater violations that would constitute a mandatory driving class.

By taking the classes voluntarily this gives you the opportunity to have the points issued lowered. As stated before if the court were to make you take the class; then the court would determine if the points would be credited.

Insurance increase is often based on the number of points you receive so it is usually a good investment to minimize the points as much as possible.

A call to your insurance company can give you the potential impact ($$$ & years).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">