• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Protecting Minor Child from abusive grandparents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cchamberland

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Recently, I terminated my relationship with my abusive adoptive parents (physically, emotionally and mentally abusive people). Since then, they have contacted my ex, whom my daughter stays with during the school year to attempt to see her (He lives in Ohio as well as these people, I currently live in Florida).

My ex is aware of my history with my parents and also feels that they do not need to see our daughter. He has explained to them that they will not receive any visitations with her. When they are told this, they tend to get verbally abusive to my ex and/or his girlfriend on the phone until they hang up on them. At this point we are really concerned that my mentally unstable parents will attempt to do something (EX: attempt to kidnap, etc.)

What can we do - if anything to protect her? Can we file a protection order? Do I have to be there also since it is my parents or can my ex do this without my involvement?

LdiJ

cchamberland said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

Recently, I terminated my relationship with my abusive adoptive parents (physically, emotionally and mentally abusive people). Since then, they have contacted my ex, whom my daughter stays with during the school year to attempt to see her (He lives in Ohio as well as these people, I currently live in Florida).

My ex is aware of my history with my parents and also feels that they do not need to see our daughter. He has explained to them that they will not receive any visitations with her. When they are told this, they tend to get verbally abusive to my ex and/or his girlfriend on the phone until they hang up on them. At this point we are really concerned that my mentally unstable parents will attempt to do something (EX: attempt to kidnap, etc.)

What can we do - if anything to protect her? Can we file a protection order? Do I have to be there also since it is my parents or can my ex do this without my involvement?
Your ex doesn't need your involvement, however he may not have enough at this point for a restraining order. He needs to make sure that the school and daycare is specifically notified that the grandparents are not permitted access to the child. He also needs to make sure that any other's who might care for the child are specifically notified as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">