• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled Placard Parking Laws???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dolphin8q

:confused: :mad: Los Angeles, California
I recently got a ticket for the misuse of a disabled placard for Juvenile Court for $445. It was my grandma's placard and it was registered to the car I was driving. She was in the car with me when I dropped her off on a street and then preceeded over to the next street to park the car so that she wouldn't have to walk. It was a residential street with signs that stated "Preferential Parking/ permit Required".Then I walked over to where she was standing and (to shorten story) 45 min. later walked back to the car by myself to leave and come back 1 hr. later to pick her up.I believe I had every right to park there. If anyone could please tell me what the exact laws are on using a disabled placard I would really appreciate it. Was that misuse of the placard?

Last edited:

CdwJava

dolphin8q said:
:confused: :mad: Los Angeles, California
I recently got a ticket for the misuse of a disabled placard for Juvenile Court for $445. It was my grandma's placard and it was registered to the car I was driving. She was in the car with me when I dropped her off on a street and then preceeded over to the next street to park the car so that she wouldn't have to walk. It was a residential street with signs that stated "Preferential Parking/ permit Required".Then I walked over to where she was standing and (to shorten story) 45 min. later walked back to the car by myself to leave and come back 1 hr. later to pick her up.I believe I had every right to park there. If anyone could please tell me what the exact laws are on using a disabled placard I would really appreciate it. Was that misuse of the placard?
To clarify, the placard is NOT registered to the car, it is registered to an individual. And the individual has to be in or near the car for it to be utilized.

CVC 4461 requires that the placard be used "... only while in the presence or reasonable proximity of the disabled person for the purpose of transporting he disabled person."

I would say that it is arguable that you were using the vehicle and placard properly. But, chances are the officer saw you driving the car around and using the preferred parking space without grandma being present. It may be a coin toss whether your explanation will work. And I would suggest you bring grandma to the hearing as a witness.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">