• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Im 15 and a half, can i start working now?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

future_spiegel

What is the name of your state?california

Im 15 and 1/2 years old, and i want to begin wroking , but i heard that most places you need to be 16 to be able to apply, so can i begin working, and if so, where?

Beth3

Yes, most employers won't employ someone less than 16 years of age. States have significant restrictions on the times of day, number of hours, and type of work teens under 16 years of age can perform. Those losen up considerably between 16 and 18 years of age but there still signficant restrictions for 16 and 17 year olds regarding working on potentially hazardous equipment.

You should try your local fast food restaurants and see what their policies are regarding hiring kids under 16 years of age. (I believe my nephew started working at McDonald's when he was 15.) You might also want to talk to someone in your school's office - they can provide you with information on your State's work restrictions for minors.

Good luck.

And most of all, when you get a job, do a good job. Work hard; don't call in sick (unless you really are sick); don't be late; be courteous to your coworkers; cooperative to everyone, especially your boss; nice to the customers; and learn, learn, learn! Good teenaged employees make even better adult employees! Your teen work record does matter!

And keep those grades up. If your grades start to slip, Mom and Dad are probably going to put an end to the job.

And save some of your money. Good spending/saving/credit habits now will serve you well throughout your life.

Ok...I'm taking off my "mom" hat now! :D

Good luck to you!

LK.

Check with the Guidance department of your high school. They will know what sorts of jobs you can do at age 15.5, and may even have the names of employers that are currently looking for some after-school help.

Best of luck!

stevek3

future_spiegel said:
What is the name of your state?california

Im 15 and 1/2 years old, and i want to begin wroking , but i heard that most places you need to be 16 to be able to apply, so can i begin working, and if so, where?
Hell, my crazy father forced me to start working when I was 11. Made me get a paper route. Between that and collecting the damn money for delivering the damn paper, it was a 25-hour work week every week. Real fun times. You're obviously lazy. You should have started working full-time when you were 9. Maybe 8. No, I think 7.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">