• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ebay Advice Please need to pay for item today

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeff in IL

What is the name of your state? IL

I would appreciate your advice before I pay for an item on Ebay. The seller is requiring payment via cashiers check for a large item that he is shipping at his expense. The item is over $1,500 and he does not have any history with Ebay.

Do I have any protection if I send a check? If the item does not show up or it is not as advertised, what can I do about it after the certified check is sent?

Please post as payment has to be sent today. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

divgradcurl

Do I have any protection if I send a check? If the item does not show up or it is not as advertised, what can I do about it after the certified check is sent?
If the other party fails to send the item, the only "protection" you have really is to go to wherever the seller lives and sue them in small claims court. If the seller also lives in your state, that may not be such an issue -- but if the seller is across the country, or worse in another country, well...

If you really want the item and want some added protection, use an escrow service.

racer72

Use an escrow service. You send them the money and they hold it till you are satisfied with your purchase. When you are happy, the seller gets the money.

racer72 said:
Use an escrow service. You send them the money and they hold it till you are satisfied with your purchase. When you are happy, the seller gets the money.
Make sure that escrow service is independent. In other words, not the seller's recommendation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">