• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Selling Crafts Online

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brow

What is the name of your state? = Indiana

Hello, I am not certain if this should be in the "starting a business" section or not...but this is leaning more towards selling items online only. Please move if needed.

I have some small crafts that I would like to sell via my existing website. For the time being, I would like to use paypal as my merchant as I have an account as well as trust with them.

My main worry is to go about doing this as legally as I can and accept payments for these crafts that I have made. What steps should I take to make everything squeaky clean?

Every place that I have searched for information on the web leads me to zoning, inspection and other topics that feel do not involve my situation as I will not be selling to customers coming to my home. I want to make the crafts, sell online only and then ship out to customers.

It has been suggested to accept "donations" for these crafts and there is nothing to worry about...but I am having a hard time believing that.

I have also been told that if I am not making to much money doing this, I will not have to report it on taxes...having a hard time believing that one too.

If I am selling strictly online only, do I still need a DBA and require some kind of licence to sell?

In the future, I would also like to charge advertisers and their banner placements. Should this fall into the same category as selling crafts online or is it considered a service? What is the main difference?

I don't want to give up too easily as I see thousands of sites out there with the same idea - selling crafts online.

I am glad that I finally found a good site for this and hope that some suggestions and advice can be provided.

BelizeBreeze

Your questions can ONLY be answered by contacting your city hall and asking what, if any, requirements they have for in-home businesses. As far as walking you through how to setup and run an online business, that is not the purview of this site.

Brow

Great. Thanks for the advice and I will start at the cityhall then.

Not looking for a walk-through at all...but just wanted to know what legal matters there are that will need attention. (kind of a fine line there I guess)

I apologize for not making myself very clear.

Best regards.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">