• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Raising granddaughter In KS. Her parents R in AL.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

Help in KS n AL

What is the name of your state? KS, but her parents live in AL. I am raising my 14 yr old granddaughter, she has lived with me for almost 2 years. I have been the only person supporting her, Her parents separated right after she moved her with me (the reason for her coming here) and now the mother (who doesn't have a job, or car, or any means to support herself) is now saying that she wants her back and that she will call the cops if needed. My grand daughter doesn't want to go back and says she will run away. I want to get custody of her but when I went to a lawyer he told me I was like a stranger. I dont have a lot of money to pay a lawyer but I would really love some advice as to how I can protect my grand daughter, Anything would help as you can see it is between 2 states so I am not sure as to what laws I would have to go by.

Last edited:

azgrandpa

We are Grandparents raising Grandchildren, too. So our best wishes go out to you!

I am not familiar with KS law, but I think you may have two choices: 1) go back to the lawyer and ask about "Permanent Guardianship", not "Custody"! If granted, it would give you total control (or custody), of your Granddaughter. I think you have a good case because of the length of time she has been with you and the support you have provided and the situation with the mother.
If not, 2) look into the possibility of your Granddaughter filing for "Emancipation" If granted,this allows her to take control of her life just as an adult. Then she could choose to live with you and mom would have no say!

I believe the action would be at your location.
Good Luck to you both.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">