• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Crazy condo neighbor-- help! Association does nothing - fines me??!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tom99

I live in Michigan.
I bought a 1,400sqt condo above a single mother on assistance (I didn't know this at the time). She is a mess and follow NONE of the by-laws. I sent in complaints to both the management company and the Association.

Now this is the fun part...I have never lived there. I have had it painted and furniture moved but never moved in because she is such a problem. And her crowd of friends is "scary."

She retaliates against my complaint by submitting "noise" complaint to the management company who requires me to prove I don't make noise!!
I don't even live there! I live 18 mile away from the condo I own!

The condo is up for sale but with this horrible market not much is selling!

The management company views me as the problem because the previous owner didn't care about her infractions: garbage, childrens toys..various things all over the common area!

The company and the association I feel is in fear of a lawsuit because of her status as a single unwed mother on governement aid.

They even send me her complaints late about my bogus noise so that I can't respond in time so as not to be fined! It's all crazy.....The postmarks and letter date never match.

This is my first home and I will never buy a condo again.

This woman appears to view this as a game since she does not work. The minute she fixes one infraction she breaks another...

And her retaliation which the management company even admitted they knew what retaliation goes unpunished...She lies in signed documents that I make noise from an EMPTY condo?

What can I do? Can anyone help???

S

seniorjudge

Tom99 said:
I bought a 1,400sqt condo above a single mother on assistance (I didn't know this at the time). She is a mess and follow NONE of the by-laws. I sent in complaints to both the management company and the Association.
What did your complaints say about her?

Tom99

I complained that she did the following (all against the by-laws):

parked in Guest parking never in her garage of own space
Allowed her dog to relieve himself on the lawn
Nailed a welcome sign to the central pillars of the complex
Left, Dustbusters, toy, Aluminum flower arrangement all on the front porch
Her dog barks constantly

All this this is against rules.. She would park in her garage for one month and then go back to parking in guest parking. I would then have to submit another form. My father is handicapped and we only have two guest parking spaces. Each condo has two spaces but she refuses to use her own.....

I never complained that the smell from her garage and condo are HORRIBLE!!! or that she put up tacky plastic weather proofing inside the windows but she did....AND She's a renter!!!! The management company refuses to give the actual owners name!

I think she thinks this is a game of some sort.

S

seniorjudge

Tom99 said:
The management company refuses to give the actual owners name!
Go to the courthouse of the county where this real estate is located and ask the collector of taxes where he sends the tax bill for this unit. If you have complaints about this person, write the owner and tell him.

Tom99 said:
I complained that she did the following (all against the by-laws):

parked in Guest parking never in her garage of own space
Allowed her dog to relieve himself on the lawn
Nailed a welcome sign to the central pillars of the complex
Left, Dustbusters, toy, Aluminum flower arrangement all on the front porch
Her dog barks constantly

All this this is against rules.. She would park in her garage for one month and then go back to parking in guest parking. I would then have to submit another form. My father is handicapped and we only have two guest parking spaces. Each condo has two spaces but she refuses to use her own.....

I never complained that the smell from her garage and condo are HORRIBLE!!! or that she put up tacky plastic weather proofing inside the windows but she did....AND She's a renter!!!! The management company refuses to give the actual owners name!

I think she thinks this is a game of some sort.
You seem to have an awful lot of knowledge regarding what's she doing and the rules she's breaking considering you say you've never lived in the condo.

nusias9

You have already made a step in the right direction by placing the unit up for sale. Is this affecting the sale of the unit? If it really bothers you retain an attorney to write the management company,the C.A, and the unit owner regarding the matter.

Why did you buy the condo if this was going to be a probem? It seems as though her stuff has always been laying about and you would have seen it before you pruchased.

Did you received a copy of fin. reports when you purchased? It will usually list name of the unit owners. City Tax Office is a great idea as well. However, you may be wasting your energy. If the C.A. does force the owner to take action, the owner will more then likely ignore your letter.

As far as by-laws go:
Do the by-laws permit dogs?
Do the by-laws prohibit dogs on the lawn?
Do her belongings in the hall block the easement?
Do the by-laws state that personal items are not allowed on the porch?

She actually may not be in violation of any of your claims.

If dogs are allowed and there is no dog lawn one would assume they would use the lawn or a tree. although, a curb is much better and she must pick up the droppings. If the dog barking bothers you then call the city to resolve this matter. Have them enforce leash laws while they are resolving the noise issue.

If the stuff in the hall and porche blocks access and the C.A. will do nothing, call the fire code inspection office. They will be the one to determine if her stuff is causing a problem. If it is a real issue, they will be the one to make her move her belonging. Read your by-laws again, because most by-laws focus on obstruction of easement and not knit picky complaints about ugly items.

If you doubt that city officials would find her in violation then you really are just complaining because she is a private nuisance. She has to be a nusiance to the public before action is taken against her.

Do your best to just get out as fast as possible. !!! :)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">