• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No inspection sticker ticket given on private property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ticket

State Name is Pennsylvania / Northampton County

I was driving with a Pennsylvania plate, but with no inspection sticker. I am not questioning the ticket it's self, but more the way I received it.

I drove from my home to a local body shop and was sitting in the body shop for approx. 15 minutes when a police officer came in to ask who owned the gray truck outside. When I said it was mine, he asked me to step outside and proceeded to give me a ticket for no inspection sticker. Apparently, he had seen me on the street, but had to turn around and look for me. As mentioned, I was in the store for at least 15 minutes before he came to get me and I had no idea he was looking for me. I have heard from a few people, it may have been against the law for the officer to go into a private location to get me for this ticket. Does anyone know if the officer had the right to pull me out of a private business and to cause me this embarresment?

racer72

Nothing in your post suggests the officer did anything wrong. He could have waited till you pulled out on the street and pulled you over then impound your vehicle. I think I would have found that a bit more embarrassing and a lot more expensive.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Every time I read one of these posts about getting a ticket on private property, it reminds me of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", who exclaims: "Sanctuary, sanctuary!!"

Private property is NOT a "sanctuary" from a failure to obey the law, nor receiving your punishment for having done so.

IAAL

Bravo8

If the officer can articulate that he observed you operating the vehicle on the roadway, then the ticket is valid. There is nothing illegal about him entering a private place to find you and issue the citation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">