• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

H1B Employee contract help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vydhehi

What is the name of your state? NJ

I am a H1B employee working for a company based out of New Jersey for past One (1) year. Now I would like to move on to another company which has better prospects for me. But my current agreement with the employer binds me to the following clause (mentioned below), if I choose to leave the company within 2 years of continuous employment. What I would like to know is if the following clause is valid (in N.J) and if the employer can come back to me on legal grounds..

The contract reads as follows:

"Employee understands and acknowledges that Employer has incurred or will incur considerable expenses to recruit Employee. Accordingly, Employee agrees that in the event Employee resigns his or her employment or is terminated with cause prior to two years if continuous employment with Employer, Employee shall immediately pay to Employer all the following amounts.

i) any and legal costs paid by Employer on behalf of Employee, including but not limted to any Immigration costs incurred by Employer in connection with effecting such Hiring and an additional $20000 for the efforts towards training and marteking. Employee agrees that any amounts Employer owes to Employee may setoff by Employer against any amounts owed by Employee to Employer in accordance with the subparagraph."

NOTE: As of now my employer did not provide me with any sort of training. The only costs that I know of are the immigration costs incurred for my H1.

Any help/suggestions on the above matter is very much appreciated

Beth3

You need to consult with a local employment law attorney for an expert opinion but it is likely that clause is uneforceable because the amount of money they would require you to pay prohibits you from exercising your "at will" employment perogatives and effectively places you in servitude status.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">